Russian Rescue

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
I went to the home of a new acquaintance yesterday and found a sad sight. A nice sized Russian female in a ten gallon aquarium. Inside were Paper towels as substrate, a small water dish and a food bowl. That's it. I calmly asked a few questions and found she bought her at Petco about three weeks ago. I (nicely, through gritted teeth) explained that the set up was completely unacceptable for the poor tort. She also explained that she had already spent all the money that she intended to spend on the tort. Long story, short...I bought the tort from her. :0.

Now, I already have 2 Red foots and a male Russian so I was not in the market for another! This little girl was just so sad looking not to mention beautiful. I couldn't leave her in that situation. Anyway. I brought her home and gave her a nice long soak and set her up in a large small animal cage. Will re-house her this weekends. Even though this housing is temporary, she is in the Taj Mahal compared to where she was. She hasn't eaten yet and she is staying buried for now. Hopefully in a day or two she will venture out a bit. She has eliminated and all that looks good. Poor girl. I'm sure she is very stressed. She is safe now. Vet visit is scheduled for MondayImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411770514.033277.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411770541.133970.jpg. Here she is. I'm taking suggestions for names :)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
You're my hero of the week! :)

She's so pretty, too. I'm sure she'll start eating soon, once she relaxes.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good for you and so lucky for the tortoise! Every day you spend taking care of this tortoise will be a good deed working in your favor. Can you imagine the life it would have had had it stayed with your acquaintance?

If you don't want more females or a herd that lives together all the time, you could always introduce these two periodically every spring for breeding. I feel captive breeding is important for this species to reduce the need for wild caught animals and this looks like a very healthy attractive member of its species.

Honey sounds like a great name.

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Good for you and so lucky for the tortoise! Every day you spend taking care of this tortoise will be a good deed working in your favor. Can you imagine the life it would have had had it stayed with your acquaintance?

If you don't want more females or a herd that lives together all the time, you could always introduce these two periodically every spring for breeding. I feel captive breeding is important for this species to reduce the need for wild caught animals and this looks like a very healthy attractive member of its species.

Honey sounds like a great name.
Thanks Tom. I think she is one of the prettiest Russians I've ever seen. She's a beautiful color. I've already thought of the possibility of an occasional breeding session as I don't want a herd.

She has been buried for two days now. Wondering how long you think that might continue? Her temp, substrate and humidity are optimal so I don't want to rouse her to move her into a larger enclosure until she decides to come up on her own. Poor thing hasn't been able to bury or even hide for who knows how long. Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No way to tell how long this behavior might continue. And with Fall coming on, her instincts tell her to hibernate too.

I can't say what is right or wrong in this situation, just what I would do. If I didn't want her to hibernate, I'd make the enclosure nice and bright and keep the lights on for 14 hours a day. I'd bump up the temps to simulate summer, and I'd dig her up and soak her daily or every other day. Then I'd put her back in the enclosure in front of a plate of tasty good food. If this was failing, I'd re-evaluate and possibly consider a brief controlled hibernation.

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
No way to tell how long this behavior might continue. And with Fall coming on, her instincts tell her to hibernate too.

I can't say what is right or wrong in this situation, just what I would do. If I didn't want her to hibernate, I'd make the enclosure nice and bright and keep the lights on for 14 hours a day. I'd bump up the temps to simulate summer, and I'd dig her up and soak her daily or every other day. Then I'd put her back in the enclosure in front of a plate of tasty good food. If this was failing, I'd re-evaluate and possibly consider a brief controlled hibernation.
I'll try bumping temp a bit and the length of light by another hour. Lights are already bright. I'll also soak daily. I really don't want to hibernate her but if I must, how would you suggest accomplishing a "short and controlled" one? Thanks in advance and I'll let you know how my attempt at keeping her awake goes.

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Success Tom! This morning honey popped her head up out of the substrate. I went ahead and dug her up gave her a nice long warm soak and put her back in with a feast. She has eaten like she's never seen food before. I don't know if she'll rebury today but even if she does I'm not terribly worried. Everything looks good and I'm very happy. Thanks for your thoughts.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Wonderful news. Sometimes it seems to take a day or two for the hunger instinct to balance with the hiding instinct. So, now that her comfort level has improved she will probably become the tort with the best appetite.

Good luck.