Russian or sulcata

Siraurelius

I'm new to the whole herp lifestyle. I have been researching for a while, but cannot decide on how to go about choosing a breed. My enclosure is 4' square with coir substrate and 1' high walls. I live in a smaller apartment but will move out to a larger space within two years. I also have room to expand my table as well. Is there any advice on which to get?

Attachments

• IMG_20170215_201455879.jpg
    IMG_20170215_201455879.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 22

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm new to the whole herp lifestyle. I have been researching for a while, but cannot decide on how to go about choosing a breed. My enclosure is 4' square with coir substrate and 1' high walls. I live in a smaller apartment but will move out to a larger space within two years. I also have room to expand my table as well. Is there any advice on which to get?

Hello and welcome.

That enclosure is to open for a sulcata. It will be too dry and the tortoise would outgrow it in a few months anyway. Its okay for a russian, but the walls need to be a little taller.

Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Siraurelius

Thank you. I live in northern indiana right now and i feel it will get too cold and the hatchling would need to hibernate. as it is set up now, the heated side gets to about 85 degrees F and the cool side stays around 65 or 70. Would this be a problem?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Definitely Russian. A smaller apartment in a cold climate makes a sulcata too impractical. A Russian will be much better suited to your space and the enclosure you've made already. Those temperatures are okay for a Russian (although your basking spot is too cool), but would not work for a sulcata (the lows are much too low for a hatchling sulcata).

Siraurelius

Thank you all for the advice and comment.s I just received a Russian Tortoise hatchling from Carol S. and she has been most helpful. I have read that the Testudo seed mix from tortoisesupply.com is highly recommend to grow. Would those do well indoors (I won't be able to grow anything outdoors for another month or two with the current weather)?

Attachments

• IMG_20170222_111316082.jpg
    IMG_20170222_111316082.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 13

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I :<3: Carol S!!! Great babies from a great person. You chose very wisely there.

I use the Testudo mix from tortoisesupply extensively and I highly recommend it. I've never tried to grow it indoors, but with the right lighting, it should be good to go.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have grown seed from tortoisesupply indoors and it did fine. With the humidity your little Russian needs and the lighting the seeds do good. Please be sure to read our caresheets under the Russian section

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Can Russian Tortoises eat red kale?
Sure, as part of a varied diet.

In Indiana, you probably have access to a grocery store that sells various mixtures labeled "Spring Mix." If you can find it, look for one that includes chicory, frisee, endive, and/or radicchio. You can probably find one or more of these items as a whole "head" in the lettuce section as well. Those foods are closer to the natural diet of a Russian than kale. You can also feed the leaves from radishes and carrot tops. Turnip tops as well, if your store sells turnips.

No worries for now; the lighting and habitat setup take priority over food. If kale is what you have, add it in until you get the other things right. You'll have food soon enough from your seeds.

Congratulations on choosing a Russian!