Russian on his Back

RainsOn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE OK
When I found Digger on his back today in his habitat, it prompted me to ask:
How long could a Russian tortoise remain on his back before an issue sets in????
:eek: :rolleyes: :confused: :mad: :( :eek: :oops: :mad: :confused: :( :eek:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think Russians, because of their small size, can stay like that longer than a heavier, larger tortoise. They are such scrappy little tortoises. I'll bet if you had left him there and watched him a while he would have gotten himself back over on his own. I've seen my box turtles on their back, and they are always eventually able to get back over. I'll bet it's the same with Russians.

But on the flip side (unintended pun?), I walked by my desert tortoise yard one late afternoon and saw my only male on his back. He wasn't struggling, and the grass around him didn't look like he had been trying to right himself. I fixed him, and two days later he was dead. I don't know how long he had lain there before I saw him, and it was not a sunny day. When I put him right, he was never the same. Very inactive and lethargic. He may have had a twisted intestine. This happens when the stomach is full and heavy, and you turn a tortoise over too quickly.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
OOOOh ! twisted intestine - ew! Poor little fella. :confused:
Digger was struggling and does not have a full stomach these days. It is the only time he didn't hiss at me; he'll learn to appreciate his mother one of these days. :p
Good to know this does not always result in a poor outcome but I need to continue to be diligent.
Thanks Yvonne; can always count on you for help.

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
I came home from work and found my Russian on his back. I don't know how long he was like that and thank fully he wasn't near his basking light. He was wasn't moving and his eyes were closed. I thought he was dead :(. Luckily I picked him up and he woke right up and seemed fine. I assumed he flipped over couldn't get back on his feet and dosed off then. This was 3 weeks ago and his behavior is normal and everything seems fine :)

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
I plan to put more top soil and ground cover in his out door habitat soon as the weather breaks (lots of rain and storms). The issue here is the distance to the top of the wooden pylons that surround his out door habitat.