Russian escape plan

saberfire06

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hampton, VA
First off I would like to say I'm so grateful for this forums and the wonderful people who contribute their knowledge. I have been a lurker here for several years but rarely post.

I've had a female russian (around 6 years old) for about 4 years now and have never had any issues with her, until recently. She gets yearly vet exams and fecal checks. She is eating, drinking, and basking just fine but between all that she is CONSTANTLY trying to get out! She has never done this before in the years I have had her. The sound of her tortoise nails against the wood is starting to drive me want to commit turtle murder! (it is like nails on a chalk board!) I don't even want to be in the same room as her enclosure. With the warm weather now she is able to go outside in her large outdoor pin for most of the day but even there she goes to the corners and trys to climb the walls. Her outdoor pin is around 8' by 4 '. Her indoor pin is a bit small (zoo med tortoise house) but she never seemed to have a problem with it before.

I know that Russians are climbers and like to explore but i feel she never satisfied now and constantly wants to escape I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any advise would be appreciated.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It sounds like she is a big girl now.
Isn't it true that Russians travel for miles?
Maybe she is starting to show adult behavior and will need more room.
Maybe a couple of half buried very large flowerpots will keep her occupied?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hi, I think bigger enclosures might help, but it may be the season and her age too. If she is now mature and wanting to find a mate, she may be trying to escape for that reason.
I absolutely understand the nails on chalkboard. I couldn't wait to get my Russians outside for the summer. Adding additional hides and rounding the corners of your outdoor enclosure might help.

saberfire06

5 Year Member
Hampton, VA
It sounds like she is a big girl now.
Isn't it true that Russians travel for miles?
Maybe she is starting to show adult behavior and will need more room.
Maybe a couple of half buried very large flowerpots will keep her occupied?

I'm off to the hardware store today to pick up a few flowerpots to add to her outdoor enclosure thank you for the advise! Unfortunately I can not help her find a mate :) unless she would like to make love to one of my many plush turtles LOL

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is there any chance you could make a safe and secure outdoor yard for the tortoise? They really do much better outside. She's probably looking for a good place to lay eggs. If she were outside, she wouldn't be trying to escape.

saberfire06

5 Year Member
Hampton, VA
Is there any chance you could make a safe and secure outdoor yard for the tortoise? They really do much better outside. She's probably looking for a good place to lay eggs. If she were outside, she wouldn't be trying to escape.

As I posted she has an outdoor enclosure and does the same thing in there. :(