Russian enclosure heating question

BLuc

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi, my girlfriend and I have just bought a 7 or so month old Russian and got his enclosure set up and ready.

The only problem at the moment that we're having is that his enclosure seems to be overheating. It's a 36" terrarium for the time being as he's still rather small (And apartment restraints) and we're using a 100W bulb for his basking spot and a 20W 60cm UVB lamp. The main thing I've noticed is that underneath the 100W it's getting to 40c + (I don't know the upper boundary as I turned it off) and approaching 30c on the cool end where I have his hide. The humidity seems fine though at a steady 65-70.

Everything seems off by about 10 degrees or so which is slightly worrisome. At the moment I'm going with the idea of getting a 60W bulb but not sure if there's another way around it?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Could you try raising the 100w bulb?
If you post a pic of your enclosure members will be able to give you tailor made advice.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
A smaller bulb Will work. The UVB bulb you are using is a coil bulb, I am guessing. These can cause eye damage and provide very little UVB. A tube style is a much better option as long as the tank is not too deep. They need to be within 12 inches of the tortoise. Another option would be an Mercury Vapor, MVB. They don't come smaller than 100 watts though so you would have to raise it high enough to keep it from getting too hot. Might not work in such a small enclosure. MVB provide UVB and heat

BLuc

UK
Didn't cross my mind to post pictures, sorry about that.

There's about 25+/- cm between the bulb and the base, and about the same for the UVB lamp. As far as I'm aware I have the style you mention. I'd have turned all the lights but the little fella is sleeping.

EDIT: Here's the link to the UVB I have just to make sure.

IMG_2026.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2024.JPG
    IMG_2024.JPG
    725.5 KB · Views: 11

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
The UV bulb u have is good that the style i use as for the basking temps its quit warm i try to keep mine between the 35-40C but the cool end i like to keep at 20-25 c. U could use the lower wattage bulb but if u could raise the bulb about an inch ur temps should be about where u want them roughly.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
As Jodie said if you have a coiled or long thin loop type bulb it could cause serious damage to you torts eyes and many keepers with years of experience will recommend that you change it too - there are always exceptions to the rule but why take the risk with your torts health? I would always err on the side of caution if I know there are possible problems. I use an Arcadia Mini D3 80W MVB which gives heat, light and uvb in one bulb, and I adjust the height by raising or lowering to find the right temps - easy! At night I use a CHE on a thermostat which controls the temps. This just gives heat, but no light as torts need darkness to sleep, but if your night time temps are within your torts range you may not need that.

BLuc

UK
Thanks for the replies, during the night I kept my radiators on slightly and the enclosure kept at a steady 20c so it appears to fine in that regard.

Today we opened up the front panels about 6" on either side and the temperatures are spot on, 25c on the cool end and a steady 40c under the basking bulb. He seems to have settled in pretty well too! He's eating fine and seems to like it on his rock getting warm. And strangely loves my bedsheets that he's always falling asleep in. :p

I'm going to get a 60W bulb at some point but at the moment with what I've done it seems pretty decent, and it's improving the ventilation.