Runny Feces and Increased Activity

Bethany Douglass

Location (City and/or State)
Charlotte, North Caroline
Hello everybody! I am the new owner of a ~5 year old Hermann's tortoise who is full of energy and has a healthy appetite. We received him about 2 weeks ago, and have him set up in a 12 sq ft enclosure filled with organic, pesticide free top soil and cypress mulch with proper hides, hot/cool sides, and ready access to drinking and soaking water. We check his temps daily with a thermometer inside his enclosure as well as a temp gun, and keep his humidity at the appropriate levels. We have been feeding him the best diet we can (I am in the process of growing my own grass, weeds, and clover) - he gets fresh organic greens such as turnip, mustard, collard, and dandelion every day, every other day we cut his amount of greens in half and add soaked Mazuri tortoise diet with dried organic weeds (such as thistle or clover). I have soaked him twice since we've had him, and we take him outside as often as we can to enjoy the sunshine. I am trying to get an answer from my HOA about the grass outside, and if it isn't treated with pesticides I will let him graze out there (he did once on accident, and I stopped him once I saw it).

Last week, while soaking him, he defecated in his soaking water. It was incredibly smelly, and very runny with bits of leaf in it. I dried him off and set him back in his enclosure, and figured it was just from the soaking. Since then, he has pooped regularly (about once a day) and it is always slightly runny and has a fairly green tinge to it. It is also fairly smelly. When we first got him, he didn't poop as much and it was always quite solid. I know diarrhea is a sign of poor health, but he is eating normally and doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. However, he has been a lot more active of late, walking fairly quick laps around his enclosure and "trying to escape" particularly in the evenings.

I apologize for the wall of text - I am just so worried about my little guy. I will most likely call the vet in the morning and schedule a fecal test, but I just wanted to see if anybody had any advice/opinions until I can get in to see them. I am not sure if this is illness, stress from the relocation (he was shipped to me), or diet related, or possibly something different altogether! Thank you in advice for any help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I stool sample could be in order. However, if he were mine, I wouldn't jump so quick to a vet. The change in diet from what your feeding to what he was getting from the previous owner could be the cause of the loose stools or possibly the bits of grass he got from a possible pesticide or fertilized yard. It's up to you. Otherwise he sounds like he's doing good.

Bethany Douglass

I stool sample could be in order. However, if he were mine, I wouldn't jump so quick to a vet. The change in diet from what your feeding to what he was getting from the previous owner could be the cause of the loose stools or possibly the bits of grass he got from a possible pesticide or fertilized yard. It's up to you. Otherwise he sounds like he's doing good.
A friend of mine who has more experience with reptiles said it could be the change of diet and stress as well! Hopefully I will hear back from the HOA about the grass, as that could be the cause as well (which, if they do use pesticide/fertilizer, is there any risk of death at this point or will he just flush it out of his system?). Thank you for the reply - I appreciate your feedback! I might give him a few days before I take him in, at least see if things firm up.

daniellenc

Maryland
I'd get a fecal all animals have parasites their bodies naturally keep in check so to speak. However, stress can offset the balance of things allowing parasites and worms to overgrow. Things like a move, new enclosure, and different diet are all stressors that can cause this. A fecal is relatively cheap and could save his life.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'd get a fecal all animals have parasites their bodies naturally keep in check so to speak. However, stress can offset the balance of things allowing parasites and worms to overgrow. Things like a move, new enclosure, and different diet are all stressors that can cause this. A fecal is relatively cheap and could save his life.
Not all tortoises need a fecal. None of mine have and have not been sick. With the inexperience most vets have with tortoises, sometimes they can do more damage then not. A couple times of diarrhea after other stressful instances doesn't always warrant a run to the vets. Not sure of you vet costs for a tortoise visit but mine are around 90 bucks just to walk in the door. Most vets around here anyway won't do a stool sample without seeing the animal. I will spend the money when needed, but not for something that most likely will correct itself.
If after a few more days of still having diarrhea then I think a stool check is warranted.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I am not one to take a tortoise to a vet easily. Out of 100s of tortoises over 50 years, I have taken one to a vet 6 times that I can think of.

BUT...

I do check fecals regularly. When I moved to a new area, I took one in to a "reptile" vet to establish a relationship, and find a vet I was happy with in case needed. Once that is done, I can simply bring in a sample any time and a fecal runs me $25 when I find something I see that I want another opinion on.

If I were to get a new tortoise, I would do a fecal check immediately. Let alone seeing a runny, smelly stool, which can be a primary indicator of an overload of protozoans or, with mucous, hookworms. All of these are direct cycle parasites and often create no problems at all. But because of the direct cycle, if husbandry is a bit lacking, the load in the gut can build to harmful levels quite easily and quickly. Without knowing the husbandry practices the tortoise has been experiencing, I would certainly want a fecal to start with a "clean bill of health".

Bethany Douglass

Thank you all for your advice! I decided to go ahead and take my little guy (his name is Teva) to the vet! They are doing a new patient checkup and a fecal test. It's probably a good idea to get him into the doctor now so that if an emergency occurs they will be able to take him in without issue. I will definitely keep you guys updated, and I do appreciate all of the help you've given me