Ruby Redfoot - Picture thread!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Just a brag thread for how cute Ruby is. Instead of posting a new thread every few days when she does something cute I'll just update here.

I bought some wheat grass to see if Ruby would like a nibble, instead she conquered the container and showed it who is boss.
IMG_20150715_125646_537.jpg She then went on to conquer the sedum plant. With her immense interest in it I don't count on it lasting long. She's not nibbling it, just using it as a playground. IMG_20150715_132901_526.jpg

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I have a shop on Etsy called The Rusty Tortoise and I enjoy finding tortoise-y things to sell along side all of the other vintage goodness, but Ruby wasn't so sure of this guy who came into the inventory yesterday!

View attachment 146060 View attachment 146061

Cute tort! Out of curiosity, how old and how big is she? I have a (roughly) 4.5 month old redfoot and I'm thinking that he's big at 97g, but I have no comparison!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Cute tort! Out of curiosity, how old and how big is she? I have a (roughly) 4.5 month old redfoot and I'm thinking that he's big at 97g, but I have no comparison!

She is about 4in long across the bottom of her shell and weighs in around 200g - The lady I got her from insists that she is 'nearly 2' but she seems small to me.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Interesting! Troggy is 8cm long (3.1 inches) as of a few weeks ago, though I should probably measure him again this week on his weigh day. He suddenly looks much less like a little hatchling and more like a... Juvenile, I guess? He looks more like Ruby than the newly-homed babies I'm seeing. It's so cool watching them grow!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
He looks more like Ruby than the newly-homed babies I'm seeing. It's so cool watching them grow!
I dropped by the reptile store yesterday to kill some time and I couldn't believe how tiny the hatchling RF's are compared to Ruby. I'm used to looking at her compared to Vern who is 8 years old and massive (at least compared to Ruby)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Ruby had her first taste of fig and she thinks it is amazing. I found a tree that was nearly breaking under the weight of them while I was out house hunting so I grabbed a few since since I wasn't sure if the torts would like them. Looks like when we get to see the inside on Wednesday I'll be filling my pockets.

p1451918299-4.jpg

Omnomnomnom!

p1451918703-4.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Woah, she definitely loves those indeed!! She's got that crazy look in her eye...! ;D

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
She is not very cautious, I have to keep a good eye on her. Vern on the other hand in way picky about new things.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
She is not very cautious, I have to keep a good eye on her. Vern on the other hand in way picky about new things.

Yes, I had to pull a receipt out of Troggy's mouth during his walk around the grassy lot this morning, so I know that feeling. He also tries to eat my shoelaces on a regular basis.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
@Rutibegga - I wonder if there is something yummy in receipts. My rat prefers them to scratch paper about 3 to 1.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
@Rutibegga - I wonder if there is something yummy in receipts. My rat prefers them to scratch paper about 3 to 1.

Huh, I wonder. I assumed he went for it because it's light in color.

I saw a video of your rattie on Instagram. I used to keep rats. They're neat little pets!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
UPDATES!

Ruby in June:
p1286353197-4.jpg

Ruby in October:
p1612368061-4.jpg

I know (s)he's little but I'm always willing to take guestimates on if she is a Ruby or a Rueben:
p1631151979-4.jpg

This little monster will do anything for a treat, these are the National Geographic soft treats that are pretty much junk food:
p1832120871-4.jpg
p1823282915-4.jpg

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Oh man, the pumpkin photo! She looks so pleased with herself!

I think her bumps are moving further apart, and that her new growth is smooth.

I also think she's super cute :)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
@Rutibegga - I've got a couple side profile shots I'll put up later that show the difference. She hasn't grown a ton, but you can kind of see the new growth on the 'treat' photo since it is darker.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
That's such an awesome photo of her in the pumpkin!! There are so many adorable tortoises on the forum. :)