RT Water dishes help

TayefA08

Location (City and/or State)
UK, Wales,
My Russian tort is 8 months and i know it is essential for them to be soaked on a daily for 15-30 mins in luke warm water i also know it is just as good to keep a water bowl in there enclosure i do both of these but i have read the chemicals such as chlorine in tap water is bad for the tortoise how could i remove the chemicals without using any droping substance?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Do some research on Water Filters. Only one that comes to mind is Reverse Osmosis. They filter out chlorine, fluoride, VOCS, heavy metals, and more. Downside is reverse osmosis removes many minerals from water including healthy and necessary ones. If you're drinking tap water, it might be worth using a filter for yourself as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My Russian tort is 8 months and i know it is essential for them to be soaked on a daily for 15-30 mins in luke warm water i also know it is just as good to keep a water bowl in there enclosure i do both of these but i have read the chemicals such as chlorine in tap water is bad for the tortoise how could i remove the chemicals without using any droping substance?
At 8 months old, if your tortoise has experienced "normal" growth, you shouldn't need to soak every single day. By the time mine reach 100 grams I'm soaking them 4-5 days a week in most cases, unless its REALLY hot and dry, like in summer here where temps are 47C and they spent a lot of time outside. I don't imagine it ever gets 47C where you are… :)

I also think an appropriate water bowl should be available all the time, even when they are adults. I clean mine and refill every day.

Here in the US, we all have chlorinated tap water. Not good for fish or amphibians that breathe the water, but it is fine for birds(which are very sensitive), reptiles and mammals, including people. If your tap water is safe for you to drink, then it is fine for your tortoise to drink and soak in too.

TayefA08

UK, Wales,
At 8 months old, if your tortoise has experienced "normal" growth, you shouldn't need to soak every single day. By the time mine reach 100 grams I'm soaking them 4-5 days a week in most cases, unless its REALLY hot and dry, like in summer here where temps are 47C and they spent a lot of time outside. I don't imagine it ever gets 47C where you are… :)

I also think an appropriate water bowl should be available all the time, even when they are adults. I clean mine and refill every day.

Here in the US, we all have chlorinated tap water. Not good for fish or amphibians that breathe the water, but it is fine for birds(which are very sensitive), reptiles and mammals, including people. If your tap water is safe for you to drink, then it is fine for your tortoise to drink and soak in too.
I live in South Wales which is a very unpredictable contry in terms of weather it's very rainy and cold where i come from so my tort cant be out in winter months the water around here is completley safe for us to drink so i will continue to use the tap water.
Thank you