Rowan has pneumonia

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I took Rowan in for his annual checkup. His blood test showed a high white blood cell count, so I brought him back for antibiotic injections. After he got the shot, I was taking him home and had to stop somewhere. So I took him outside. He was gasping and breathing hard, and his eyes were running pretty badly. I called them because I thought the little dude was having an allergic reaction to the shot. Turns out he has pneumonia (they took X-rays). So, I guess it was a lucky thing he got stressed out, thereby aggravating his symptoms enough that I noticed. He's getting a nebulization treatment now. Is there anything I can do at home to improve his chances and make things easier for him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Raise the temps to around 80-85 day and night all over except keep the basking spot temp normal. Do t let him get food and keep him hydrated with daily warm water soaks making sure he stays warm.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
best you can do is keep him warm at all times that helps them fight in the monia, food, & if he stops eating baby carrot Food soaks.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
The first thing I did when I got him home was to soak him. I bought him some more Mazuri because he can't resist it. So, if his appetite decreases, he's got something he loves.

Before I got him home, I texted my husband to raise the enclosure temperature and the overall house temperature.

Should I keep his humidity up at its normal levels? He's a Redfoot.

Thanks!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
as long as you're raising the temperature up go ahead & keep the humidity where it is. It helps as well just don't let him get cold.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
as long as you're raising the temperature up go ahead & keep the humidity where it is. It helps as well just don't let him get cold.
My mist maker's power connector got busted. So time to get another one. In the meantime, it's back to the old spray bottle.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
best you can do is keep him warm at all times that helps them fight in the monia, food, & if he stops eating baby carrot Food soaks.
I'm going to get the little guy some baby carrot food today. His appetite wasn't as good this morning.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
antibiotics often times upset a tortoise and they will stop eating. Just keep an eye out

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
antibiotics often times upset a tortoise and they will stop eating. Just keep an eye out
I've been offering him Mazuri because I know he can't resist it. He's had two carrot baby food soaks now. i figure an extra baby food soak won't hurt him. His enclosure and decorations have all been cleaned, and I put in new substrate. The temperature is around 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Tomorrow is his last round of nebulization treatments and his second shot of antibiotic. He has five more shots after that for a total of seven.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
The little guy didn't eat this morning. I don't think he did yesterday.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Rowan's X-ray still showed pneumonia present, so he's started a second round of antibiotics. He gained enough weight during his first round that the vet thought she might have to increase the dose, which she ultimately didn't have to do.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
It took my tortoise 3 rounds of antibiotics to clear up her pneumonia, granted every tortoise is different. Wishing you and your tortoise the best.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
It took my tortoise 3 rounds of antibiotics to clear up her pneumonia, granted every tortoise is different. Wishing you and your tortoise the best.
I knew I'd read that it takes over a month for recovery from other respiratory infections, so I wasn't surprised that Rowan needed a second round. Good to know in advance that three rounds is possible. Helps me to mentally prepare.