Rocky Life

XxRockyxX

Location (City and/or State)
Planet Earth
After a long day of exploring outside, Monica was proud to discover that I had finally dug my very first hole! :) ;) :D I was so happy I stayed there and took a nap for a long while (over 2 hours and camouflaged from Monica). It was great. I just came back inside right now since it is getting dark. Good night!View attachment ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439253690.530716.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
After a long day of exploring outside, Monica was proud to discover that I had finally dug my very first hole! :) ;) :D I was so happy I stayed there and took a nap for a long while (over 2 hours and camouflaged from Monica). It was great. I just came back inside right now since it is getting dark. Good night!View attachment 142912
Oh wow, very cool! My Russian loves to burrow as well! :)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
:) I can just imagine the cuteness! But does this mean that it is too hot for them or something? Because it's 100 degrees and I was just a bit concerned.
Yes, tortoises will burrow to escape the heat, to find moisture, or for protection. It's perfectly normal tortoise behavior. I'm not sure what the typical temperature range for your tortoise is, but it's always wise to allow the tortoise access to water. I always make sure Steve has water in his garden dish when he's outside in the summer heat and humidity. Terra cotta saucers make safe and effective tortoise water dishes. :) Believe it or not, some tortoises enjoy the occasional swim, but my tortoise hates water! Nonetheless, all animals need water, so he has some to cool him off in case he's ever interested in it.

XxRockyxX

Planet Earth
Yes, tortoises will burrow to escape the heat, to find moisture, or for protection. It's perfectly normal tortoise behavior. I'm not sure what the typical temperature range for your tortoise is, but it's always wise to allow the tortoise access to water. I always make sure Steve has water in his garden dish when he's outside in the summer heat and humidity. Terra cotta saucers make safe and effective tortoise water dishes. :) Believe it or not, some tortoises enjoy the occasional swim, but my tortoise hates water! Nonetheless, all animals need water, so he has some to cool him off in case he's ever interested in it.

Oh alright phew! Just making sure he's ok. It's usually 100 degrees here in summer but not in the house. It's around 80 in the house. And I usually have him some water in his dish outside and he likes to climb in and out of it. But we currently don't have it because the it hasn't gotten here yet ;(.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It's hotter than the ambient air temps on the cement. His outdoor area should have deep shade and dappled shade and a place to burrow. That fence is not secure. We get so many posts from people who just blinked once and then the tortoise was gone. Maybe not today, maybe not this summer, but it will happen. Why chance it?

Two of my habitats are built on paving because that's where the sun is. Cinderblock walls - cheap, easy to rearrange & expand. The habitat is filled with topsoil and compost. Escape proof. Nothing can burrow in or out. Plants thrive and the tortoises can graze.

You can cool it down the garden hose.

Don't feed any fruit at all. It's too hard to digest, they're not built for it. And do add some water to your coir substrate.

XxRockyxX

Planet Earth
It's hotter than the ambient air temps on the cement. His outdoor area should have deep shade and dappled shade and a place to burrow. That fence is not secure. We get so many posts from people who just blinked once and then the tortoise was gone. Maybe not today, maybe not this summer, but it will happen. Why chance it?

Two of my habitats are built on paving because that's where the sun is. Cinderblock walls - cheap, easy to rearrange & expand. The habitat is filled with topsoil and compost. Escape proof. Nothing can burrow in or out. Plants thrive and the tortoises can graze.

You can cool it down the garden hose.

Don't feed any fruit at all. It's too hard to digest, they're not built for it. And do add some water to your coir substrate.

Well I do see the need for shade and so I am working on that one, and we did not put up that fence it was there before we got here and he does like to burrow which is completely fine and I am out there the whole time and he cannot get past the gate on the side either sides of the back yard. I am planning for a garden/enclosure of flowers and greens (and some grass) surrounded by cinder blocks or bricks with a water section for him.
Also thank you! I heard giving fruit was not very recommended and I guess it makes sense now. I'll try to stay off fruit feeding. Thank you.