Rocky Life

XxRockyxX

Location (City and/or State)
Planet Earth
Very nice. congratulations.
Be careful about that fence. Those little bulldozers will plow right underneath!

Thank u! Lol and well I don't mind too much it wasn't there to block him or prevent him from going anywhere. The previous house owners had. Little dog and left the fence there. He spends a lot of time trying to escape and he's done it a few times through a little hole in the dirt though so you are right about that one lol. I thought it was pretty cute hahaha. It's his temporary outside enclosure in case I am not there. Thank u for the concern though :D! Oh and by the way, what an awesome profile pic! Your tortie has such amazing eyes!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Does Rocky have some plants and flowers? :)

XxRockyxX

Planet Earth
Does Rocky have some plants and flowers? :)

Well I try to give him as much variety as possible, I planted basil and flowers from him but none of them worked out because california weather from cold to dry within the same week lol. I'll try again soon I bought some seeds. I think it may be easier now that we are in Texas. Today we are buying a bit of kale for him too. Which plants do you reccomend I feed him more frequently? And well I've been reading up on it so much but I've never actually seen it, what is "sow tistle"? Also, I've seen many different answers, I know fruit should not be fed as often but are bananas okay once in a while?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Well I try to give him as much variety as possible, I planted basil and flowers from him but none of them worked out because california weather from cold to dry within the same week lol. I'll try again soon I bought some seeds. I think it may be easier now that we are in Texas. Today we are buying a bit of kale for him too. Which plants do you reccomend I feed him more frequently? And well I've been reading up on it so much but I've never actually seen it, what is "sow tistle"? Also, I've seen many different answers, I know fruit should not be fed as often but are bananas okay once in a while?
Variety is best for tortoises, so it sounds like you're doing awesome so far! :D Sow thistle is related to the dandelion. The USDA has a PLANTS Database which can be helpful for growing info: http://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=SOOL and The Tortoise Table is helpful for finding tasty tortoise plants: http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?st=true&mode=main&catID=209 If you live in a warmer place like Texas, how about a Hibiscus plant? :) My Russian tortoise goes crazy for Hibiscus flowers!!

My Russian doesn't eat much fruit at all. I try to make sure he is mostly eating leafy greens, but depending on the specific dietary needs of the tortoise species, a little fruit every now and then is probably fine. Here you should be able to see my tortoise garden: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/attachments/img_5601-jpg.141944/ I love having a bunch of plants together in one pen. Steve will just walk through and stop and eat a little of everything. :<3:

I have more photos of it here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...nclosure-and-garden.92343/page-6#post-1162091 Been modifying the garden since last year! Plants also provide some shade from the hot summer sun and can provide a place to hide so the tortoise feels safe as well. Our clovers got out of hand so hiding under the giant clover plant is a great place for my tortoise to escape my eyesight!

XxRockyxX

Planet Earth
Variety is best for tortoises, so it sounds like you're doing awesome so far! :D Sow thistle is related to the dandelion. The USDA has a PLANTS Database which can be helpful for growing info: http://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=SOOL and The Tortoise Table is helpful for finding tasty tortoise plants: http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?st=true&mode=main&catID=209 If you live in a warmer place like Texas, how about a Hibiscus plant? :) My Russian tortoise goes crazy for Hibiscus flowers!!

My Russian doesn't eat much fruit at all. I try to make sure he is mostly eating leafy greens, but depending on the specific dietary needs of the tortoise species, a little fruit every now and then is probably fine. Here you should be able to see my tortoise garden: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/attachments/img_5601-jpg.141944/ I love having a bunch of plants together in one pen. Steve will just walk through and stop and eat a little of everything. :<3:

I have more photos of it here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...nclosure-and-garden.92343/page-6#post-1162091 Been modifying the garden since last year! Plants also provide some shade from the hot summer sun and can provide a place to hide so the tortoise feels safe as well. Our clovers got out of hand so hiding under the giant clover plant is a great place for my tortoise to escape my eyesight!

Thank you! :) I try hard to give my little Rocky the life he deserves. Oh I've seen sow tistle before! Thanks for the pictures lol now It looks familiar to me! And you have such a lovely garden! Oh my gosh Rocky would love something like that! You have inspired me lol! Thank you so much! And I never knew the name of hibiscus! They are m favorite flower and I shall get Rocky some soon. Today I will buy some seeds for flowers. Thanks a bunch! :) :D ;)

Last edited:

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
@Odin's Gma mentioned that OutsidePride.com has great seeds that ship quickly and grow with great success (if Odin the tortoise doesn't eat them all before they grow). ;) I will probably buy some butterfly/hummingbird seeds from them next spring.

I would also recommend playing with the check-boxes at the top of the page for each plant category on The Tortoise Table. They have a traffic light system to indicate which plants are generally safe for tortoises based on the research they've done. You can learn about a lot of plants in one place!! I even made my own spreadsheet from their database. They also have a forum for posting photos if you need help identifying plants in your own yard. So lots of good stuff! And they are a small nonprofit group, so feel free to support them! :D

Here's a screenshot so you can see their "traffic light system":
2015-08-07_1249.png

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thank you! :) I try hard to give my little Rocky the life he deserves. Oh I've seen sow tistle before! Thanks for the pictures lol now It looks familiar to me! And you have such a lovely garden! Oh my gosh Rocky would love something like that! You have inspired me lol! Thank you so much! And I never knew the name of hibiscus! They are m favorite flower and I shall get Rocky some soon. Today I will buy some seeds for flowers. Thanks a bunch! :) :D ;)
Thanks!! I'm glad to inspire! It's so fun to spoil the tortoise! :tort:

XxRockyxX

Planet Earth
@Odin's Gma mentioned that OutsidePride.com has great seeds that ship quickly and grow with great success (if Odin the tortoise doesn't eat them all before they grow). ;) I will probably buy some butterfly/hummingbird seeds from them next spring.

I would also recommend playing with the check-boxes at the top of the page for each plant category on The Tortoise Table. They have a traffic light system to indicate which plants are generally safe for tortoises based on the research they've done. You can learn about a lot of plants in one place!! I even made my own spreadsheet from their database. They also have a forum for posting photos if you need help identifying plants in your own yard. So lots of good stuff! And they are a small nonprofit group, so feel free to support them! :D

Here's a screenshot so you can see their "traffic light system":
View attachment 142439
Thanks!! I'm glad to inspire! It's so fun to spoil the tortoise! :tort:

Wow I had no idea this existed! I'll definitely look in to purchasing some seeds from there! Thank you so much this helps a lot! And the signs are so helpful. The traffic lights is genius! Thank you a bunch! Can't wait to plant for Rocky! And yes it's super fun lol!