Rock iguana?

Jaime Lancaster

You met have seen my thread about tegus, but after watching many videos on tegus good and bad I can't help but second guess my decision. I have read and watched things on how tame and good rock iguanas are. I know Cuban rock iguanas and think iguanas are good pets from what I've heard but can anyone give me a second opinion on Tegus vs Rock Iguanas?

BILBO-03

Rock iguana need a lot more space like 10x10 for a adult. Tegus only need 8x4. If you get a male rock iguana they can get nasty in breeding season, so a female would probably be less "aggressive" overall. And females are a lot smaller. That's just some stuff to think about but the choice is up to you. So just get what ever YOU want because both can become puppydog tame, with time and the right owner:)

Jaime Lancaster

Thanks! Have either of you owned a tegu? I want to know how expensive feeding is bc they are carnivores.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Most males that I know that live in Florida have a scar or two from trying to make pets out of Iguanas when they first started to be seen here in the wild.
I'm not a fan of the big lizards.
Any big lizards.
those are "learning" scars.;)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I can't speak for rock iguanas, but I can tell you that green iguanas are a ton of work, they need a ton of space and even with daily handling they can go from "puppy dog tame" to you sitting in the ER wondering if you've lost your nose and eye because your 13lb ig launched himself at your face mouth first in a fit of hormonal rage.

Sounds oddly specific, right? I'm not in a spot to go dog up the photos, but if you Google "Iguana face bite" I'm usually the top 3 results.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I can't speak for rock iguanas, but I can tell you that green iguanas are a ton of work, they need a ton of space and even with daily handling they can go from "puppy dog tame" to you sitting in the ER wondering if you've lost your nose and eye because your 13lb ig launched himself at your face mouth first in a fit of hormonal rage.

Sounds oddly specific, right? I'm not in a spot to go dog up the photos, but if you Google "Iguana face bite" I'm usually the top 3 results.
What?
No tail whipping?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
As I read this, Jaime is asking about ROCK Iguanas, not green iguanas as he discussed them in a different thread. And specifically rock Iguanas as compared to Tegus - which he also discussed the various types in another thread.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
As I read this, Jaime is asking about ROCK Iguanas, not green iguanas as he discussed them in a different thread. And specifically rock Iguanas as compared to Tegus - which he also discussed the various types in another thread.

If this is directed at me I was specifically responding to the OP's statement of, "think iguanas are good pets from what I've heard." and i specified that I was not speaking for rock iguanas.

Also @Jaime Lancaster - My green never whipped or showed any signs of aggression for the 6 years I had him until the face eating incident. I've only met 2 rock iguanas and they were skittish juveniles who would run and hide rather than try to fight you in a confrontation.

Another point to consider in the iguana vs tegu field is that carnivore poop generally smells way worse than herbivore so if you have a weak stomach I'd lean toward an herbivore.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Thanks. I was toying with the thought of a big lizard. After viewing all of that, I think I'll stick with my bearded dragon.

If you're going to add a new lizard get a bluey. I love them!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I LOVE lizard talk!!!

Of all the black and white and red tegus I've seen, about 5-10% were aggressive or overly fearful.
Of all the rock iguanas I've seen, maybe a dozen, about half were aggressive or overly fearful.
Of all the green iguanas I've seen (Only talking about the healthy ones…), about 90% were aggressive or overly fearful.
Of all the BTS I've seen, about 5-10% were aggressive or overly fearful.
Of all the black throated monitors I've seen, about 10% were were aggressive or overly fearful.
Of all the water monitors I've seen, about half were aggressive or overly fearful.
Of all the bearded dragons I've seen, about 1% were aggressive or overly fearful.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
"Of all the green iguanas I've seen (Only talking about the healthy ones…), about 90% were aggressive or overly fearful."

"Of all the bearded dragons I've seen, about 1% were aggressive or overly fearful."
My introduction to the world of reptiles started when my 8 year old decided she wanted an iguana. (I later figured out she was confused and actually wanted a water monitor because her favorite show at the time "Hey Jessie" had one.) I was against it, but it was apparent I was losing that fight to her and her mom.

After a few days research I talked them down from an iguana and sold them on a bearded dragon as a compromise.

At the time it was one of the smartest moves I've ever made.

Amusingly the girl that wanted an iguana (water monitor) more than anything in the world, now has a rabbit she is afraid of.

Jaime Lancaster

I've never had a bts but I am thinking about one because they are vegetarian and for the most part docile @Tom, and don't need a lot of space but I know there are different species, like northern. But does that matter or do they all need the same requirements? And does anyone have experience with Underground reptiles? Are they reliable?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I LOVE lizard talk!!!

Of all the black and white and red tegus I've seen, about 5-10% were aggressive or overly fearful.
Of all the rock iguanas I've seen, maybe a dozen, about half were aggressive or overly fearful.
Of all the green iguanas I've seen (Only talking about the healthy ones…), about 90% were aggressive or overly fearful.
Of all the BTS I've seen, about 5-10% were aggressive or overly fearful.
Of all the black throated monitors I've seen, about 10% were were aggressive or overly fearful.
Of all the water monitors I've seen, about half were aggressive or overly fearful.
Of all the bearded dragons I've seen, about 1% were aggressive or overly fearful.
I must have been an awesome green iguana trainer....My Iggy was awesome. Took him to the vet once in a pet taxi and and when I opened it he walked right out....Took to the vet real nice...The vet was blown away.
Like the Pitbull controversy...It's how they're raised. I got him as a little 8in baby and every day afterwards I would hand feed him his first bite. If he lowered his neckflap I physically folded it back up. I didn't move gerkily fast around him. Those were my tricks...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never had a bts but I am thinking about one because they are vegetarian and for the most part docile @Tom, and don't need a lot of space but I know there are different species, like northern. But does that matter or do they all need the same requirements? And does anyone have experience with Underground reptiles? Are they reliable?

BTS are not vegetarian and Tegus are not carnivores. Both are omnivores and need a varied diet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Like the Pitbull controversy...It's how they're raised.

I don't want to be argumentative, but this is not right on either count. I'm only saying this because I don't want someone who does everything "right" to be disappointed and feel like they failed because they have a normal aggressive healthy iguana.

Some of them are nice. You got one of those and you did not make it defensive. If 100 other people did the same thing, or if you did the same thing with 100 other iguanas, you would not get the same result every time.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I don't want to be argumentative, but this is not right on either count. I'm only saying this because I don't want someone who does everything "right" to be disappointed and feel like they failed because they have a normal aggressive healthy iguana.

Some of them are nice. You got one of those and you did not make it defensive. If 100 other people did the same thing, or if you did the same thing with 100 other iguanas, you would not get the same result every time.
Yep. Could be right. We got an older one we named Murdock because he was CRAZY. A-team? Lol We gave him away...
Maybe the trick is to pick a calm one as young as possible?