Right Mazuri?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Yep. That's the one.

A little goes a long way. Start with only one or two pellets and just a little water to soak them in. You can add more water if it wasn't enough, but if you add too much you will end up poring some of your nutrients down the drain.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Look at that box of goodies! Lucky little monster.

AnimalLady

If you like it...Griffs Western in Davie has big bags.
Or I will just give you some.....
Thank youuu! I really only got it just in case I run out of veggies. Like a back up.
I'm addicted to Amazon so whatever I can get on there I will lol <3 Prime <3

AnimalLady

Yep. That's the one.

A little goes a long way. Start with only one or two pellets and just a little water to soak them in. You can add more water if it wasn't enough, but if you add too much you will end up poring some of your nutrients down the drain.

The bag says this should be 80% of a torts diet and 20% veggies. That seems really odd.
I don't really HAVE to feed this stuff, right?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
The bag says this should be 80% of a torts diet and 20% veggies. That seems really odd.

Natural foods are always going to be better, but variety is the spice of life. I use it 2x a week as a 'treat'. I have to soak it in a little fruit or tuna juice to get my big guy to eat it. The little one on the other hand will chew your fingers off if you've even handled the dry kibbles.

AnimalLady

Natural foods are always going to be better, but variety is the spice of life. I use it 2x a week as a 'treat'. I have to soak it in a little fruit or tuna juice to get my big guy to eat it. The little one on the other hand will chew your fingers off if you've even handled the dry kibbles.

Ok, I can stick this in his diet, once s week. When I feed this, do I feed greens as well (in the same sitting)?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I mix it all together into a slop and they love it. My big guy hates eating his greens so I will spread it on the leaves to make him eat them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Oh good lord no.

Different people use it differently, and I have not seen any problem anywhere on the spectrum. People who don't use it at all can still have a healthy tortoise. People that use it a lot can have a healthy tortoise too. I like to use it a couple of times a week as a supplement to an otherwise good diet.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Just wondering how much was it? I have a prime account also. Is it the 25 lbs bag?

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I use Mazuri every couple of days. I used to do about 4 or 5 pieces when I fed it, but my tort started only eating the Mazuri and ignoring everything else, so now I feed one pellet every few days, mixed in with weeds, fruit, etc... He's eating much more of the other stuff now. He's still a little guy, so a pellet is roughly the size of his head when hydrated, for reference.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I buy mine 2lbs at a time from a pet store in Spokane - They only charge $3.99 for the 2# bag. (It is repackaged from a larger bag I'm sure)

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I use it as more of a dietary supplement when I worry that his diet isn't varied enough to ensure a broad range of nutrients. Right now it is a daily part of his diet as his outdoor enclosure is dying off for the winter and I wait for his new indoor enclosure to explode with green goodness. He rarely got it over the summer, or last winter when my indoor gardening was in full swing. I also occasionally use it as a treat when he is being extremely grumpy. (sulcata, so not uncommon)
I love it as a back up, but prefer the natural route whenever feasible.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
And here I was thinking I got a good deal lol

My local place here in Eugene charges $10/lb so it really is a deal....a deal that I drive 500 miles for. Okay, not really, I drive 500 miles for work and just pick up the tortoise food when I'm there.

SGT Fish

Columbus, Ohio
http://www.mazuri.com/mazuritortoisediet.aspx

just fyi, 25lb bags are only 31 bucks from their website. thats $1.24 a pound. plus shipping.

if there is anyone in columbus that wants to split a bag with me (or multiple people), i was thinking of ordering some to see if frank likes it, but i am slightly worried about getting stuck with 25lbs of it if he wont eat it

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
If you have a local feed and seed store, see if they'll order it for you. My local store charges me $30 for a 25-lb bag. I freeze most of it in Ziplocks and feed it once a week to my redfoots. It lasts a long time and is much cheaper than buying the smaller bags.