1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

REWARD - MISSING RADIATED SUBADULT - LAKE WORTH, FL

Discussion in 'Lost and Found' started by PNoble, May 18, 2017.

1. PNoble

PNoble New Member

This is LaBella, my 5 year old, captive-hatched, unsexed-but-believing-female radiated tortoise. She has "disappeared" from my yard in Lake Worth, Florida. I've been in my home for 10 years and my yard is escape-proof, tall privacy fence, etc. I've been at this for 25+ years. Sometimes a radiated will "hide in plain sight" but we have looked for hours, and everywhere!

Stolen?
    Gate opened for vegetation removal and somehow she snuck out, despite constant vigilance?

Anyway, the more people that know, the better the chances of recovering her!
    Please help, can't live without her! Not kidding, mad dreams last night!

Thank you ALL...it takes a Village!

PATTY
    561/309-2229
    labella.jpg
  2. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Wow, so sorry. Keep looking every day though, specially when she would normally be basking. Let neighbors know and local vet clinics and animal rescues.
    Also keep a close eye on Craig's List. Sounds more like a theft to me.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
  3. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    My worst nightmare. Good luck. I certainly hope you find her.
  4. ZippyButter

ZippyButter Member 5 Year Member

Don't give up hope! Keep looking and keep asking neighbors.
  5. GingerLove

GingerLove Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I'm keeping an eye out for you, I also live in Florida. Don't lose hope, some people have found their tortoises up to months later. I hope you find yours sooner!
    Pearly likes this.
  6. tortoiseplanet

tortoiseplanet Member

Just like Wellington said go to your local rescue, they find torts all the time. And keep an eye on Craigslist if someone stole him and is attempting to sell him. Hope you best luck, hope you find him!!❤️
  7. PNoble

PNoble New Member

Nothing yet, friendly folks-who-restore-my-faith-in-humanity!
    Lots of calls, flyers, texts, networking friends...and Tortoise Forum people!! From coworkers to Crutchfield, all zoos, stores and vets in between.
    I'm just trying to breathe, stay positive and turn over ever stone, literally and figuratively.
    Thank you all!
    Patty
    (here she is again, on the left...with her clutch-mate ElGuapo) :)
    [​IMG]
  8. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

With a herd like that in your yard, its time to put up some surveillance cameras. They have some that are easy to install, battery operated, and operate wirelessly through wifi. A simple "Ring" doorbell would do it. They are motion activated and send a signal to your phone when a person comes around. You can even talk to the person when you are in another country. "HEY! Put that tortoise down and get out of my yard before I release the hounds of hell upon you!!!!!!"

You can also run a 12" board across the gate opening that is easy for a person to step over, but impossible for a radiata to get past.

That is one gorgeous tortoise. I hope you find her soon.
    CharlieM, wellington and Pearly like this.
  9. PNoble

PNoble New Member

You're SO right. I've become complacent. I pray it was my "oversight" and not a theft. How would "Ring" (which I had saved in my Amazon wish list for my front door) cover the entire yard? Researching...thank you for your sharp-yet-kind comments (you could have called me an idiot)... :(

No LaBella yet. VERY hopeful still.

PATTY
    (beautiful star photo!)
  10. Pearly

Pearly Well-Known Member

What a nightmare! I had been through that one over a year ago, it was during Texas winter. One of my then little baby RFs got away during supervised outing on a very nice warm afternoon and we could not find him. He was very small too. Your Radiata is beautiful!!!! I'm sending my "finding joojoo" over your way. In Catholic faith we say novenna to St.Anthony, the patron saint of things lost. Many believe that when all hope's lost and they turn to this prayer/meditation, their things/persons that have been missing get suddenly recovered. Keep looking. Don't give up hope. Put out her favorite food and fresh water where you last saw her. Daily. See if anyone is eating it. If temps are cool, put out heat source in that place. I did that for entire 4 weeks after which time my baby Tucker was found. I hope you finds your Bella. Hope she was not stolen but I agree with Tom. Install security system. You are a very lucky owner of one of the very highly priced species. Protect them from human greed. And good luck to you. Keep us posted.
  11. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

They have a wide angel lens, but it would only cover the area where you mount it. I just used the Ring as an example because everyone knows what it is, and its so simple. You can do something more elaborate with multiple cameras and that would serve you even better. They have many systems available at Costco that you can easily install yourself. I'm not much of a "tech" guy and I was able to figure it all out pretty easily.
  12. Pearly

Pearly Well-Known Member

@PNoble, have you found your tortoise yet?
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  13. PNoble

PNoble New Member

Good morning, Pearly...everyone...
    No LaBella yet...the bad/strange dreams continue. Animal Care & Control called me and I got excited but they just wanted to confirm some details. Will put up more signs this weekend, some blew down in the crazy storms. I met with a security/surveillance system guy who's coming back this weekend. I have a lot of foliage so cameras aren't going to be cheap or easy, but I'm committed. Also put a board across the inside of my big gate - I am totally kicking myself for not thinking of something so simple, Tom!
    I know animals can surface after a long time away...I've been looking at storm drains but I think her shell height - especially while walking/standing - is too high for her to have fallen into one...praying, anyway. This is a BAAAAAD feeling, so I especially appreciate this community, thank you all and Happy Memorial Day weekend!
    PATTY

Here's a happy picture...me, BigGirl (25 year old Aldabra I've had since 1995), and a friend's (impressed) son. Staying positive!!!

Attached Files:

Pearly likes this.
  14. teresaf

teresaf Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    , watch for tortoises on Craigslist for sale and lost sections.
    Pearly likes this.
  15. KevinGG

KevinGG Well-Known Member

That is a big girl! Good luck with your search.
  16. Pearly

Pearly Well-Known Member

How about reporting to police as stolen? Afterall there is signifficant $ value assigned to this species... Cover ALL bases and leave no stone unturned. Go out there and talk to her, releasing the energy you create by your worry and missing her so much, put it out there, into the Universe. I believe we are all interconnected in some ways, that includes our animals. I also believe that any type of energy we generate and release, does not just dissipate into a thin air or get lost. Keep going back to place where you last saw her, talk to her, pray, meanwhile do all the other search and protection related stuff. DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  17. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member TFO Supporter Platinum Supporter

Albums:
    South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    I agree that such a large tortoise has been "found" by someone else.
    Someone that is now reluctant to let it go.
    I think reporting it as likely stolen is a good idea.
    Pearly likes this.
  18. PNoble

PNoble New Member

Hello, Concerned Friends!

To clarify - LaBella is my hand-sized 5 year old radiated tortoise - and missing.

BigGirl - I just sent a picture for everyone's enjoyment, not to confuse - is my 25 year old Aldabra.

I immediately reported LaBella stolen to the Lake Worth Police. Have done pet shops, vets, posted flyers, talked to neighbors, tortoiseforum.org, craigslist lost and found, animal care & control, busch wildlife sanctuary, etc. I DO speak to her out loud when I'm out and about in the neighborhood, walking my dogs, etc. I'm not "above" that. I was thinking about Channel 5, but I'm not certain I want a camera in my back yard??? Have installed new security system and cameras (expensive ones)...are going up in a couple days.

If y'all can think of any MORE stones I can overturn, I'm open to it! I'm well-connected in the reptile community for 20 years + and have people who are talking to people who are talking to people. I must say, tortoise forum has SO many hits, it's got to be the best connection yet.

Keep talking to me, people...you're AWESOME!

I completely understand that she can...

A) Never show up
    B) Show up in 5 minutes
    C) Show up in a year

I'm in this for the long haul.

PATTY
    Pearly likes this.
  19. teresaf

teresaf Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Don't forget Craigslist. Whoever stole it may want to sell it.
  20. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member TFO Supporter Platinum Supporter

Albums:
    South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    The only tortoise that I ever had escape was found later on trying to break back in to the pen for food.
    Best of luck
    Pearly likes this.