RESEARCH: Thinking about getting a Hermann Tortoise

Sarah7

Hi, I have been researching Tortoise's none stop for the past two days, I want to research a bunch and then maybe get one in August,this is what I have so far:

- I am planning on making an enclosure out of an Ikea bookcase and a pond/shower liner at the bottom and using a mixture of topsoil,coco husk and spagnam moss as substrate. With a flat stone under the basking spot, terracotta water dish and a few hide houses

- I am still searching for uvb and heat light in Ireland so if anyone has any advice on this it would be greatly appreciated.

- I am still working on the diet and food but from what I have gathered I am going to mix store bought things such as: cucumber, romaine lettuce,parsley,mint,carrot and rocket and mix it with some weeds I find outside like dandelions,clovers and weeds (which im still working on identifying ones safe in my area.

anymore advice and insight would be appreciated, i'm a first timer

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hi I'm new and researching too. I'd be careful with topsoil and ensure there is no fertilizer, vermiculite, or perlite mixed it which can be toxic. Basically organic with no growing enhancers or other stuff. Cypress mulch and spagnum may be better and less likely to get in it's mouth and nose. I know cucumber, carrot, and regular lettuce should be fed as treats and not a main staple as they lack solid nutritional value but greens found in spring mix minus the spinach are a good start and safe weeds in your area. Depending on the species you choose safe grasses, broad leaf weeds and plants, flowers, and other foliage make for a diverse diet with the occasional dry diet to supplement. I myself have been going bonkers to find things I can grow in my area and climate spring/summer and dry for the winter to mix up grocery store junk. I actually just ordered italian dandelion, regular dandelion, a few different clovers, purslane, plantain, marigolds, and hollyhocks to grow and mix into grocery store greens mixes with d3 calcium powder. I also ordered prickly pear cactus pads and jade plants as treats. Just some ideas to throw out but there are a ton of safe foods to give it just requires lots of reading and fact checking since everything on the interwebs isn't always the best advice.

For heating, thermostats, bulbs and other stuff if you can't get it local order from the UK.

Huw

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
Hi Sarah!

I'm a newbie Hermann friend (I've had little Monty for a only a few weeks) and he has been a wonderful source of joy and worry!
I'm sure some experts will be along with advice (this site has been amazing for me!), but a few things so you can learn from our mistakes!

Make sure the bookcase/tort table is as big as possible (Monty's is 5'x2' and is defo on the small side). We also had mould growing under the table, so we now have it raised (on mugs!) so we have an airflow under it.

Make sure the water dish isn't too high or deep. Don't want it to be a tip hazard.

I got our bulbs and lamp on eBay But a timer for the plug socket has been invaluable. These are cheap too.

Have you safe outdoor space? Torts do love a ramble.

After a few mistakes we have a substrate of coco coir (a couple of inches deep) and orchid bark. Had to make sure the cococoir wasn't too wet though! We got our from Pets at Home - dunno if you have that in Ireland.

Have you decided where to get your Hermann from? Hope you can avoid pet shops.

Good luck though. Can't imagine my life without little Monty now!