Rescued tort

Leukloki

Location (City and/or State)
Honey brook
hey guys,
I'm new to torts but run a rescue out my home for animals. Just received this tort and I believe it's a female Russian tort. I'd love conformation on that.
Either way she has a vet apt next week but I'd like to know what I can do for her now... her shell is really deformed and seems like it hasn't shed properly in a while.
She's eating really well, I soaked her once for half an hour,but not sure what else to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I plan on keeping her. I have read the beginners guides on here as well as the common mistakes pages.
I think her toenails are long but I'm not sure... let me know what your thinking! Thank you! IMG_8610.JPGIMG_8611.JPGIMG_8614.JPGIMG_8615.JPGIMG_8616.JPGIMG_8618.JPG

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
Definitely a Russian! Looks female to me. Her nails are a good length, they actually seem somewhat small to me, as they need long nails to help dig. I don't think they really shed their shell, it just looks like a lot of new growth really fast. Most likely the previous owners got it from a pet store (wild caught) and fed her like crazy lol.

Leukloki

Honey brook
Ok good! So the deep ridges aren't an issue? She has them on the top and bottom...

Leukloki

Honey brook
Yea the bottom was the real surprise to me. Thank you for responding! And so quick, I really appreciate it! Gerti is currently eating some hibiscus :) and happily running around my house lol

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum!

I think that's just the result very fast growth on the top shell. In the wild she grew more slowly over time and with a lumpier, bumpier, and darker shell as a result. The smooth lighter colored growth is from a constant (possibly heavy!) supply of food.

I don't know about the ridges (cracks, kind of?) on the bottom. I'm not saying they are problematic, I guess I've just never looked at mine.

Tortoises don't shed their shells; they only grow larger (like your fingernails). They occasionally shed their skin, in small pieces, not all at once like a snake.

Her claws are fine. Her beak might be a little long, hard to say in that photo. Can you get a view from the side?

I know you're very new and I'm glad to see you've read all the care sheets. That said, she shouldn't be on the floor. It's not safe for her in general and her roaming around right now means she's not sure of her territory, which is stressful.

If you need quick housing that safe, large enough, and relatively cheap, take an old or Ikea bookcase, take out the shelves, and line it with a shower curtain.

Other owners use (very) large Rubbermaid storage bins, including the kind intended to store artificial Christmas trees. Like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/IRIS-Hol...75035&wl11=online&wl12=48037027&wl13=&veh=sem.

Again, welcome!

Leukloki

Honey brook
Ok, very cool! I'm so used to terrapins (I have 5 don't worry she's not gonna live with them) who shed when their growth plates...grow lol.

Right now she is living in a Tupperware like that, but she just keeps running into the sides of it, so I thought she might want some exercise :( I don't want her stressed. I ordered a calcium block and a cuddle bone. I made a humid hide for her last night but she's not sure of it yet..
the only time she stops trying to get away/ out of the tipper ware bin is if I have her up with me and I hold her, then she just kinda flops in my lap?

The IKEA thing is genius! I'm trying to convince my hubby she needs her own table in the living room haha. I go on Pinterest toooo often!
Here's a pic of her eating, so you can actually see her beak.

Oh and thank you again! Such quick and helpful responses! Really appreciated!

Attachments

• DB5A1462-F55A-4E9F-AA8A-A6278D74C29B.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 17

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
A warm welcome to the forums...homedepot sells storage totes for 25bucks at most...they have one in black its 55g and goes for 22. You can also build her one from plywood...congrats on the rescue. Best of luck!!

Maitaimommy

I noticed in your pic all of those tomatos you were feeding her. RT's have trouble digesting fruits. Have you considered adding variety to her diet? Radiccio, chicory/endive are good choices:)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Right now she is living in a Tupperware like that, but she just keeps running into the sides of it, so I thought she might want some exercise :( I don't want her stressed. I ordered a calcium block and a cuddle bone. I made a humid hide for her last night but she's not sure of it yet..the only time she stops trying to get away/ out of the tipper ware bin is if I have her up with me and I hold her, then she just kinda flops in my lap?
She's pacing the perimeter to make sure she knows all of it; it was super stressful for me to watch when we first found our Russian.

As for the sitting on your lap, I'm not sure but I expect she's trying to hide or camoflage herself in some way by not moving. At your size, you're a predator to her. Particularly when you pick her up off the ground.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
She can't have tomato or fruits; her system simply isn't made for it. She may not eat anything for some time, while she is adjusting. Try not to worry about it too much, just keep her hydrated.

Here is a looong list of information on foods, most of it put together by very experienced members of this forum. It's a ton of reading, for now you will probably want to focus on the section about grocery store foods that is under the first two links; I've broken them out between lines below, so they are easy to find.

Check the Russian care sheet again, it has a section on food near the bottom: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/.

There is another great list for foods that was written for another type of tortoise but if you skip the first bit about grass, all the foods below it are great for your Russian: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/.

You may need to rely on grocery store foods for now. Good foods for tortoises are "chicories," types of lettuce that are likely to be on the far side of the more common floppy green heads of lettuce most people buy. Anything labeled as simply "chicory" is good, as are radiccio, frisee, escarole, and endive; you might even find something labeled as dandelions. You may find a bag of "Spring" or "Spicy" mix that is good, just check the label to be sure it has some of the chicories I just mentioned.

The leaves (just the leaves) of turnips and radishes are also good, as are carrot tops. Collards, mustard greens, bok choy, and other dark, leafy greens are okay as well. If you have any kind of Mexican/hispanic market near you, they will sell cactus, labeled "nopales."

You don't need to feed all of these at one time, just make sure your tortoise is getting access to different types of food. As you get more experienced, you can find the better types of food listed on the care sheets.

Here are a whole bunch of non-grocery store suggestions.

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Nasturtium
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds: there are soooooooo many...

Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Here's a pic of her eating, so you can actually see her beak.

I actually still can't quite see it too well. But from what I do see, it looks somewhat overgrown. Put her food down on a piece of slate or some other hard surface; that will help her wear it down. You'll probably want to file it a bit, which you can do with nail clippers, a bit at a time. If your vet is a herptologist, he or she can do this for you.

Leukloki

Honey brook
Hmmm...I may have to rethink the vet, as they said to give her toms and cucumbers for now. I have been giving her hibiscus, rose, grape vine leaves and milk thistle "salads", but she has only eaten the tomatoes. I'll take those away.
I have a big container for her now, just need dirt! - side question I've had others recommend strawberries as well? Is this not good for her? -
I don't want her to be scared of meeeee :(
I have slate, I'll put her food on that instead of her bowl, I think I'm going to need to look for a herp specific vet near me.

Thank you again all! Loving the overload! So great!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
No strawberries or any other fruit, I'm afraid.
Too high in sugars and acid.
For substrate, fine grade orchid bark (cheaper at a garden centre than the pet shop), coco coir or cypress mulch are all good choices.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I have been giving her hibiscus, rose, grape vine leaves and milk thistle "salads", but she has only eaten the tomatoes. I'll take those away.

Those foods are all good, although don't overdo the flowers (more sugar, although not as much as fruit). If she's used to eating stuff like tomatoes, she won't eat new foods for a while. She can go weeks/months without eating so try not too worry too much about it (ha! that suggestion didn't help me when I heard it!).

I think I'm going to need to look for a herp specific vet near me.

Yes.

There is a vet directory in the health section, I believe. If you can't find one right off, post your location in the health thread and ask for help.

Leukloki

Honey brook
Ok. I've taken her tomatoes (swear I saw her glare at me hahaha) I also went and picked some more garden salad for her as well as got some of the mixed green from the store with chickory.
I'm setting up her new house this evening and will hopefully get her more comfortable. I've got the slate as well as some calcium blocks for her, so maybe she won't need her beak clipped...
thank you guys again for grouping together for gert :)