Reptile UVB and grass

KODY CORDUAN

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Well, I imagine someone must have experimented with this and come to some conclusion.. but maybe I'll give it a shot either way. Does the uvb reptile bulb proved adequate light to grow plants.. especially grass.. in the enclosure? Does this substitute a plant light, or is the spectrum too limited? I'm talking about specifically the zoo med, exo terra, zilla brands?

Filburt

Milwaukee, wi
I haven't tried grass, but I have cantaloupe seeds sprouting in mine and they would probably survive if Filburt didn't eat the seedlings right away

KODY CORDUAN

Los Angeles
Ha, yeah that's why I'd like to cut out a section of my lawn and stick it in there... I'm going to give it a shot.

Scubaroo

Florida
I have grass growing inside my patio enclosure. I have had it growing for about 4 months now with no issues from lighting. The main problem is my tortoilet loves his grass so his main spots he lays on are dying.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can grow plants indoors with the UV tubes. They are not the best light source for plants, but they can work. You'll need 3 or four tubes to make it bright enough for grass. Be sure you mount them far enough away from the tortoise that it doesn't supply too much UV. Best if you use a light meter to be sure.

This is the meter to go with:
https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
Some people complain about the $250 price tag, but in the long run, it will save you a lot more than that since you aren't replacing bulbs that are working perfectly fine every six months.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It was my understanding that our reptile UVB lights put out the wrong spectrum for plants. @Markw84 ?????

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Plants thrive best when plenty of intensity and plenty of reds and blues. The UVB tubes we now use do produce good blues and OK reds. However, as @Tom mentions, the intensity overall is too low for great growth by most plants and especially grasses. Doubling UVB tubes or tripling just gives too much UV as they are designed to give 40% of their energy as UV. The best solution I use is use a good UVB placed properly for the tortoise but then add a double tube fixture with plant grow lights that have the balance towards reds and blues plants use most. You can limit the UVB on time to 4 hours midday but the other tubes create a great ambient and photoperiod for the tortoise and plants. Be sure to put in plenty of potted plants with overhangs the tortoise can find "shade" for a light gradient.

I do think you will find you need light way too bright to grow grass and that intensity would be hard on the tortoise in an enclosure. With the setup above you will grow many plants but end up with pretty thin grass if it even survives the tortoise!

Also keep in mind as you add ballasts to a closed chamber it becomes easy to overheat. May be worth using remote ballasts for fluorescent grow light or going with good LEDs

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom

KODY CORDUAN

Los Angeles
Alright, well I'll stick to outside grass! I did plant a variety of flowers, kale etc.. and as soon as they sprouted he was was eating them up!