Reptile shows?

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Hello! I went to my first reptile show today (kentucky reptile expo) and I was super excited to go. However, is it common practice to keep the reptiles in tiny tiny enclosures? I understand the need of small enclosures for transportation and easy carrying, but some of the larger snakes seemed like they didn't even have room to move! Just wondering what some of the larger reptile shows were like, etc. I was a little disappointed because there weren't many tortoises... quite a few red foots and a few hermanns. Was anyone on this forum a vendor or did anybody go?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Yes. Vendors keep them in small cages for several reasons, one so they dint slide around and get hurt during travel, and so that more animals can be displayed.

I didn't go, but I don't know of any shows that have mostly tortoises.

milkandsam

5 Year Member
That makes sense! I was just a little worried about some of the larger snakes... seemed like they couldn't move at all!!! I wasn't Super impressed with many of the tortoises... A few vendors looked like they were raised correctly.. but some I was a little concerned about. I'm feeling like I need to live out west where it is warm!!!

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
I went to the Pomona (southern California) show recently, and was NOT at all impressed with the tortoises they had. EVERY one kept on hay or pellets, most were mixed species (ie redfoot and sulcata) too. I go to the shows more for the sake of going and getting to meet people.

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Same here! I was just excited to see my first reptile show and talk to some gecko keepers... oh well! :) still fun!