Repti carpet for a cherryhead...is it ever appropriate?

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
The veterinarian I took my tort to told me to get rid of the dirt (sphagnum peat moss and coco noir) in my enclosure and replace it with repti carpet. I ordered the carpet but didn't replace my substrate. I thought his advice quite contrary to everything I've read about what's good for redfoots. What do you think?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
So, I know repticarpet is a no. But other than the "it's not natural" argument (because lets face it, captivity can't always be 100% natural, especially indoors), perhaps people should elaborate on *why* it's not good, so beginners and the like can read and understand?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
So, I know repticarpet is a no. But other than the "it's not natural" argument (because lets face it, captivity can't always be 100% natural, especially indoors), perhaps people should elaborate on *why* it's not good, so beginners and the like can read and understand?

Great idea. I personally wouldn't use that product for many reasons. One being that there are many other great options out there. The reasons why I would choose something else is because:

1) This product doesn't allow a tortoise to burrow or dig.
2) Seems easy to soil and hard to clean.
3) Wouldn't retain humidity.
4) Doesn't allow a "rough terrain" for exercise and natural movement.

And I'm sure this list can be added to. This was just off the top of my head.

5) You can't bury plants in this product.
6) This is my opinion, but "dirt" looks better than carpet and I'd rather see my tort on something more natural than on a golf course.

Last edited:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Although there is no way to mimic nature in captivity...it should be strived for....
That's true too, but I think we try to get as close as possible!

Pretty much what @pfara said :D As some people have said, coco coir also smells really nice.
Carpet also doesn't do much for their health really, barbecue it (like pfara said :p ) burrowing is important to many species of tortoise, and it can't be moist or humid.

justino4444

5 Year Member
The only reason to keep a tortoise on carpet is if they have an infection of some sort so that vet needs to catch up

~ Justin

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I'm fed up with vets at this point. I think they think we don't know too much because we are not certified or have our credentials but we know our pets & we know there needs!! But the carpet thing is wrong for sure!!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
But on a serious note...do you guys do regular check ups on your torts? I did for a while!!! And I stopped due to cost! My biggest tort, Big Red I usually take in because of respiatory issues & hes had it since I've had him (7 yrs) I was told by the vet when I purchased him he may have it for life!! But I don't like the medication stuff at all!!! Obviously unless it's absolutely necessary. But I guess I should make an appt for a fecal exam. Just curious on how often others go & with how many tortoises?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Right you are, and actually it's worse then that. Most of the time it's vets that spread false information about animal care, because they're a vet, and everybody listens to them.
Abuse of power! :mad: and then there the fact that they have little idea what they are talking about anyway! I read a thread on time where a vet told someone (sorry, was a couple months back!) tortoise table were 'dumb' and that the idea of a wooden box that 'can't' hold humidity was a bad idea! WHAT :eek:

I take my russian once a year, and so far my vet SEEMS to know what she's talking about... I have actually not taken my turtles in a couple years o_O but, you know, they are kept clean and everything...