Repti Calcium Frequency

Jmoney1002

Location (City and/or State)
Sebring, FL
I have a hatchling sulcata and I provide a cuttle bone all the time. How often should I dust the food with repti calcium? He has munched on the cuttle bone about every other day or so.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as you know he is eating the cuttle every other day I wouldn't give him any or give a small pinch once a week and increase to three times a week if he stops eating the cuttle. Too much calcium can be as bad as too little.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
If he has a decent diet and is munching that happily on the cuttlefish bone, i wouldn't bother at all.

Jmoney1002

Sebring, FL
Great to hear. I am still working on the diet. The grass in the enclosure should be ready in a few weeks. I will probably supplement once or twice a week until the grass is ready.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Adam's assessment on this one. Probably don't need it, but a tiny pinch once or twice a week won't hurt anything.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Today my baby took a couple of bites of cuttlebone, and then ate a few bites of an egg shell too. I never use the powdered kind.

Is there a difference between how much calcium they metabolize from eating egg shell, verses being given concentrated powder supplements?
I had (incorrectly???) assumed that ingesting egg shells was a natural part of a red foot's diet , and that they would pass undigested matter including some of the calcium out of their digestive tract .
What I want to know is, can she get an unhealthy amount of calcium in her system from eggshells? Or is the concentrated powder stuff what is overloading them?