Removing nail polish from shell

Ramsey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego California
Hello, I am having slight difficulty removing some polish from my tortoise's carapace.

I didn't apply this, it was inherited.

I have used polish remover and it took about half off, not not all of it. I broke it up into three separate sessions, each on separate days. It's almost like the last bit is set in like a tattoo.

Open to other ideas.

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It will wear off on its own in time. You might be able to help it after a soak and using your finger nail to gently scrape it off.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I got a group of tortoises from a large facility that generously marked the carapaces for identification. I also wanted the "clean" look and tried to get it off and had that same luck as you. It has been a year now, and it finally is totally gone!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Something stiff but not too stiff. Maybe a wooden popsicle stick type item?
I removed a lot of lime green spray paint from a Gopher tortoise I found walking on the sidewalk of a gas station on a busy street with a piece of wood and the side of a plastic fork. Not all of it. But enough.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Hey, thanks for the replies. Ya, not sure what they put on here but it certainly isn't coming off. I polish my child's nails regularly and they come off instantly with some remover. Not here. Four tries. I even tried with a toothbrush. Maybe Tom's approach is best; just let time run its course.

rm0Ou0f.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
This new one looks good, great new growth

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
nail polish remover is awfully harsh I would just let nature take its course

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey, thanks for the replies. Ya, not sure what they put on here but it certainly isn't coming off. I polish my child's nails regularly and they come off instantly with some remover. Not here. Four tries. I even tried with a toothbrush. Maybe Tom's approach is best; just let time run its course.

That almost looks like crayon or grease pen. Try wiping it off with a dry cotton washcloth.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
That almost looks like crayon or grease pen. Try wiping it off with a dry cotton washcloth.
It's certainly polish. He even told me so. Got most of it off. There was a very generous portion applied. Just going to let it be for now. I just wasn't sure if it would get baked into the fatty layer like a tattoo. However, keratin, that's not likely.