Releasing my Turtle

Ezaraeld

Location (City and/or State)
SIngapore
So recently my turtle has grown to big for my box, without filter or anything and my parents decided to release it to a temple. ISit good for him?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where are you? Where is the temple? Will the turtle be contained and not have access to the wild turtles or wild water supply?

Ezaraeld

SIngapore
I am in Singapore. The turtle will be contained but has a better living condition then my tank. Its bigger, has quite a number of other turtles. Im not sure about the water supply, though. It seems that there is only a filter

Turtlepete

South Florida
If you are speaking of the "turtle temple's" of some countries, where they release turtles for some religious belief, then your turtle is ensured to die. The video/pictures I've seen of those turtle temples are a living hell. Water is filthy, there are so many they are climbing on top of one another. The only food offered is something sold by vendors that I'm sure has next to no nutrition. Carnivorous turtles that are released there are ensured a slow, starving death. The ignorance of these practices is downright shameful.

Ezaraeld

SIngapore
Its more like a temple that keeps animals and then releases it out to appropriate places tho. Water there can sometimes be dirty but most of the time it looks okay to me. For the number of turtle there, Should be around 10-15. Its about 3mx3mx1m area

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

No, I would not release the turtle. Try to find someone who will take it in, preferably someone with a pond. The turtle is used to being a pet and having food delivered to it on a regular basis. The pictures I've seen of turtle temples show too many turtles for the space and it always has dirty water. Do you have something like Craigslist in Singapore? A place where people can post on the 'net things to sell and buy? I'd advertise the turtle there and try to find it a home.

Ezaraeld

SIngapore
Most of Singapore's houses are high rise flats... Ive been trying to find something like that for a very long time but i it dosent exist...
I have two options, release it to a nearby lake, which is very dirty, or release it to the temple...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are possibly damaging the natural environment by releasing this animal. It is not ethical or responsible to do so. It is a captive animal. It has had exposure to captive pathogens, and it needs to remain captive. YOU are responsible for this animal's well being. Releasing it to its death, and possibly introducing pathogens to the local wildlife should NOT be an option. Is your species even native to that area?

You need to take some time and figure out a better solution. A larger enclosure or adding a filter should not be that difficult.

Ezaraeld

SIngapore
I am releasing it not to the wild, but to a temple with bigger living space and a filter dudeee >_.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I don't think you should release it. In such a close space together, your tortoise can easily become infected with a sickness that could be fatal to it.

Ezaraeld

SIngapore
But my parents do not want to get a larger tank and he is already 7 years old ._.

My tank isnt even a tank.

Its juz an empty plastic box now ._.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is it possible for you to volunteer at the Temple? Maybe you could keep the water clean and make sure the turtles are fed?

Ezaraeld

SIngapore
Yep. The old people there feed them vegetables and pellets everyday. I can also volunteer!

Ezaraeld

SIngapore
Something like this, but with less turtle, more water (and a filter), basking corner

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
i recommend you do not put your turtle there. look for someone willing to adopt the turtle. those turtle temples are prone to disease and your turtle is bound to die if you release him or her there

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I would you kill the turtle yourself than to send it to a lingering death place. That picture reminds me of the Holocaust

Ezaraeld

SIngapore
I said its SOMETHING like this, WITH a FILTER, LESS turtles, MORE water and a basking corner ._.