Regulating Temps for Outdoor Enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

morbank

5 Year Member
Hi All -- I am new here and doing my research on outdoor enclosures with the hopes of soon being a new owner of a non-baby (about 5-6" big) Russian Tortoise.

I live in Southern California about 30 miles west of the ocean. We have average daily temps of 70-80 degrees, some summer months with highs in the 80-90s, and most evenings in the 50s (and on very rare occasions as lows as mid 30s). As you can see we can have hot days that cool quickly into cold nights!

Ideally I would like to set up an outdoor enclosure (4' wide by 5-10' long), as we have the space. But I have tried to read a lot on this and find contradicting information. Some say the waterproof sheltered house should be heated, while in other places I read that the house should be the cool part. I'm also confused about how you ensure that you provide a hot basking area that is outdoors. It all makes sense when you have an indoor enclosure, but I have yet to see an outdoor enclosure that has any artificial heating units.

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you for your time.

-Cindy

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Hi Cindy, I don't really have an artificial hot spot but I do have a warming area, it consist of 4 16x16 ceramic tiles with a heat tape between them and sealed to water proof it,I have it raised off the ground so they can either go under it or they can sit on top of it covered with pulled weeds.During the day the sun will warm the enclosure, the warming tiles are the first thing hit by the sun in the morning and the first spot to go into shade in the evening.here is a pic (not a good one) of the enclosure as I am redoing it for a small star tortoise to live in this summer.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I would suggest just making some space available that is full sun, without any shade. Even if it's 75 degrees outside, if the tortoise is sitting in full sun, it will warm up much more than that. Usually by 80-85 degrees, most of my tortoises are looking for shade. Russians are very easy as far as temperature levels go. They're not going to have any trouble into the mid 30s; just make sure they have a spot to dig in a little bit and they do the rest. I love them because they don't need babysitting. Our temps here range from about 25 to 120 and I don't heat (or cool) them at all, just provide them options.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome :)

Your proposed enclosure size sounds a little small for a quite large tortoise.

Russians are great diggers and climbers, great escape artists, so you will need good security measures in place.

EDIT

just re-read your post is that 5'10" long or 5' to 10' long? The bigger the better!

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
The ideal way is build it the biggest you can, then you wont have to build a biggier one later down the room.
You want a spot that gets lots of sun during the day, as well as leaving water and lots of hide spots or shade :cool:

morbank

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies. We are aiming for the 10' length; it is just a matter of moving a water line and adjusting a drip system (we will be removing an area of our raised vegetable garden and rebuilding the area to house the tortoise). We would have even more options if we do not need electrical access for heating elements...

morbank

5 Year Member
I have an additional question. Again I have read conflicting information regarding enclosures for babies, specifically russian and greek. It seems that numerous posters on this forum keep their babies indoors. But I have read on other websites that an outdoor environment is ideal for all ages of tortoises, as, in their natural habitat, that is where they are born and live.

Given my geographic location (described above), if provided a proper ceramic heated hide box, could a baby tortoise be housed outside 365 days a year? The enclosure, now at over 12' long, would be able to provide multiple hiding areas, including burrows. So ideally the enclosure would offer a range of temperatures.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Your temps sound great most of the time, if there will be a really sunny area with gravel/basking stones to absorb heat.
The important factor is the amount of rain: wet and cold don't work for Mediterranean/Russian torts.

In the UK, and where I live in the Pacific NW, there is more rain, so more greenhouses/cold frames are used to provide dry areas to retreat to, even if they are not heated. (Mine are to some extent, because temps during early Spring/later Fall don't get much above 45f, so there is simply no place to bask otherwise).

If your tort goes outside full time in early summer when it is warm enough, then he/she will be able to adjust to cooler temps as fall approaches. There is nothing wrong with providing a heated area, they can choose to use it or not.
What you do over winter depends on your preference and winter weather. Several members in California do not hibernate outside if they get torrential rains.

As far as a hatchling, they really need a secure enclosure, just more susceptible to predators. They do well outside in the right weather, too.

Russians thrive on cooler nights and warmer days for basking and do the best being outside.

morbank

5 Year Member
Lynne-- Thank you for your reply. So it seems that we will not be choosing a tortoise, because a tortoise has chosen us! The local tortoise rescue has contacted us and told us they have a Russian tortoise that needs a home. So a Russian tortoise it is! Thank you everyone for the help you've given; looking forward to more advice here in the near future (like even tomorrow).

morbank

5 Year Member
It's been a while since my last post, but we were blessed with not one, but two Russian tortoises that were orphans! Burrito and Taco were delivered in May around my son's birthday. My husband helped us build a large 5' x 15' enclosure for them (see pic attached). I specifically picked this spot because of the shelter above, and the shade the tortoises would get. However, I am finding this summer that the sun doesn't hit the cage at all until after 9am, and by 4 or 5pm, all of the sun is gone. The cage is not "cold," as we are in southern california, but I do notice that the tortoises will return to their orange house (in picture) once the sun has passed the cage. Is this okay? For them to be out and about for only 7-8 hours a day? During those 7-8 hours they can freely choose to bask or sleep in shade, but in total they are pretty much in their house from 5pm-8 or 9am the next day. I just want to make sure that they don't need more warmth or sun to stay out.

Another question-- the cage has plenty of grass, succulents, and hay for the tortoises to munch/graze upon. But we do supplement their diet with extra leafy greens and flowers in the morning. I've read that if you feed them food like this, they should only have about enough food that they can feed on in 20 minutes or so. Does this seem reasonable considering they always have other things to nibble on for the rest of the day?

Thanks guys!!

19f4fc48.jpg

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I use to live in oxnard, Ventura which right on the beach and had the exact Same temps. My Russian tortoises lived outdoors year around with no problem. In the winter I built a heated hide for them. In the summer they didn't fine. Russians are pretty hardy. Only thing is they can't be wet and cold, hides are the key. Heated hide in the winter helps. Some don't even use it. I had an indoor table to bring them
In when it did rain which was very rare but I did bring them in cuz it could be pretty cold rain at these parts

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
7-8 hours of optional sun sounds just fine.
And a heated hide (heat source on thermostat) works very well in Spring or Fall, if needed. Millerlite is right, having a dry area is key.

Even when there is sun, mine 'hit the hay' often around 4-5pm anyway. It is a lot of work basking in the sun! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.