Reefer Madness.....hemp and tortoises

eric joranson

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
in the midwestern US we have lots of hemp starting to grow. This is not kind used by humans for a drug. But its left overs from a time(WWII) when it was used for rope; and other products. I have a hillside full of it; and wondered if its ok to let tortoise graze on it.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

eric joranson

No its a completely different plant. But thanks; and what information I have found on the subject; have conflicting recommendations about its status as tortoise food. Information about not using it as a substrate in it's dried state; as it causes too much dust; and is too dry and prone to mold. I usually go with the gut feeling; "when in doubt; toss it out"; that goes for milk and what to feed my tortoise. I have harvested their seeds and given them as a seasonal treat to my cockatoo; who's been with me for 43 years now. But now that the world is turning green again; and Titan is so happy to return to the outside; hes eating everything he sees. So I am wondering what the forum has to say about it. Should I go all Nancy Reagan on him and "just say no?" Or do you think its safe.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I migh not be the one to answer this as I am totally against drugs. In my opinion, it is still a drug and to me animal abuse if fed to animals. So NO it shouldn't be fed!

eric joranson

I migh not be the one to answer this as I am totally against drugs. In my opinion, it is still a drug and to me animal abuse if fed to animals. So NO it shouldn't be fed!
that's my point.....this isn't a drug; or can it be made into one...different species......this is type that was used for making of rope; in fact the plants that grow wild are left over from government plantings during World War 2 for the US Navy. I've worked on boats all my adult life and know the ropes that were made out of hemp did not snap back like ones made of poly prop. (a petroleum product); much less danger.. And it eventually degrades so sea animals like whales and turtles have a chance if they get entangled in it.

eric joranson

It was found to be a small part of the native diet of Russian tortoises in far western China. That was published in a Chinese scientist's doctoral thesis. Some is okay.
Interesting; thanks; as with all food sources; they only get some.....mixing it up daily; variety and frequency..

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
that's my point.....this isn't a drug; or can it be made into one...different species......this is type that was used for making of rope; in fact the plants that grow wild are left over from government plantings during World War 2 for the US Navy.

It isn't actually a different species - hemp and pot both come from Cannabis sativa, but there are multiple subspecies and cultivars that contain variable amounts of THC and rope hemp is grown to have very low THC concentrations (although I am not sure if other cannabinoids are present in significant amounts). Personally, I wouldn't use it as fodder, but I doubt feeding it very occasionally would cause significant problems.

eric joranson

It isn't actually a different species - hemp and pot both come from Cannabis sativa, but there are multiple subspecies and cultivars that contain variable amounts of THC and rope hemp is grown to have very low THC concentrations (although I am not sure if other cannabinoids are present in significant amounts). Personally, I wouldn't use it as fodder, but I doubt feeding it very occasionally would cause significant problems.
ah yes; subspecies.....oh the love of taxonomy.......no I had no intention of using it for fodder; or even offering it in diet. My concern is that he might get into some of it as its sprouting among other weeds and grasses. This early I doubt I would even recognize which was hemp. But since the temps have warmed up; and we are going out for progressively longer periods; hes been making a pig of himself on alot of the new sprouts coming up.