Redoing tort table

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWillow23

5 Year Member
So I'm trying to figure up how I'm going to redo my tort table. I have 2 little leopard torts in it and I'm trying to make it more intresting for them. Right now I have Sphagnum peat moss as the substrate and New Zealand sphagnum moss on top of the peat moss in the basking area. But I've seen a lot on here using coconut coir and was thinking about trying it out. Or is there one that is best for leopards? Also I still have a big bag of the peat moss but it would last me another year and don't want to wait that long to try a new one so could I mix them if I wanted to or put them in different sections something like that?

Minority1

5 Year Member
What is the current dimensions of your table? Are you looking to expand? There's plenty of ideas on the forums.
Here's what I found simply googling: Tortoise Forum Tortoise table ideas (Forum member Rolo has one of the most adorable one's I've seen yet*)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-46958.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaypost4/sets/72157632014048861/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-68395.html

There's no do it all substrate for any tortoises but everyone has their favorites.
Coconut coir is a wonderful substrate as are orchid bark, cypress mulch and so forth.

To make it more interesting you can simply add rocks, plants, and some other obstacles so they won't get too bored looking at flat areas.

RedWillow23

5 Year Member
Ya I've been trying to find a good cactus to put in it and some rocks around the water spot..Right now my table is 5' by 2' and both my babies are 2 to 3 inches long. We aren't going to expand it right now cause we don't have the room seeing as how I have water turtles in the same room but when we move later on this year we plan on building a new and bigger table for them. And thanks for the info! I think I might try and section the peat moss and coconut coir and see how that works out for right now. Maybe they will like it! That is if I can find some coconut coir around here other than the pet stores. We were looking around in the lowes garden center and asked 2 associates if they had any and they both looked at us like we were crazy. They said they have never even heard of it. I might try an actual gardening place this weekend though.

Minority1

5 Year Member
Yeah I couldn't find coconut coir in my local Lowes/Home Depot as well. I usually just order mines online.

rideburton87

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW burbs, Illinois
For my substrate I have 2 inches of regular dirt with coco coir and mulch mixed.. I like it a lot it seems to hold humidity/water well and two days ago I planted a "sulcata food" seed mix in it and the seeds are already growing! Grass n weeds are probably a a half inch tall already.. So needless to say I am a fan of the coco coir and it was pretty cheap at the pet stores, the little brick expands quite a bit ( probably soaked up 2 1/2 gallons of water )

Status
Not open for further replies.