Redfooted tortoise short incubation?

RBdiverman

Location (City and/or State)
Redondo beach CA
So I am new to the forum. I have a pair of redfooted tortoises for about 10 years now. Recently I found a baby tortoise in the backyard apparently A new hatchling. This is about a month ago. I assumed the egg was laid 3 to 4 months prior to me finding the hatchling. I was very excited to find out my tortoises have been breeding successfully without any help. I live in Southern California and has been a warm summer this year. As winter comes I put my tortoises in a flower bed where I have a heat source. I put them there about two weeks ago and today I found three more baby tortoises. I'm a little confused on incubation time. Everything I have read about incubation should take 3 to 4 months. As the tortoises have only been in the flower bed for about two weeks I am not sure on how this is happening if anyone has advice I would appreciate it.
Thank you

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
It has to be from when they were in there before or she found a way in to lay, then back to her regular area.

RBdiverman

Redondo beach CA
Thanks for everyone's reply. Have taken in consideration all these facts. However none of them could be true. The area they are currently in the flower bed has been worked over the summer and no eggs would've been able to survive. As far as laying them in the summer area and rolling them to the flower bed they have no access to that area at this time. The only other consideration is the little guys walked from the summer area to the flower bed as they can fit under the chain-link fence which seems highly improbable. As well as I have found eggshells in the flower bed. The conclusion I came to is that she is incubating the eggs internally and laying them just before they hatch.

Some freaky evolutionary stuff.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I guess we'll never know.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks for everyone's reply. Have taken in consideration all these facts. However none of them could be true. The area they are currently in the flower bed has been worked over the summer and no eggs would've been able to survive. As far as laying them in the summer area and rolling them to the flower bed they have no access to that area at this time. The only other consideration is the little guys walked from the summer area to the flower bed as they can fit under the chain-link fence which seems highly improbable. As well as I have found eggshells in the flower bed. The conclusion I came to is that she is incubating the eggs internally and laying them just before they hatch.

Some freaky evolutionary stuff.
Welcome mate. Are you sure a friend or family member is not having a laugh and playing tricks with you. Sounds like something my mates would do.

RBdiverman

Redondo beach CA
I don't think so. My wife would know how to do anything this elaborate. Still searching the web haven't found any information on a short incubation cycle such as I am experiencing. The new tortoises are doing great with their brother or sister.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I don't think so. My wife would know how to do anything this elaborate. Still searching the web haven't found any information on a short incubation cycle such as I am experiencing. The new tortoises are doing great with their brother or sister.
How deep is the flower bed, and how deep would you have worked the flower bed. Torts can bury there eggs very deep. If you have not dug that deep when working your flower bed maybe you missed them.