RedFoot Enclosure Update

theguy67

10 Year Member!
SPRING UPDATE

Spring is finally here, and everything is putting on new growth. I haven't had time to put down new mulch, or pant new plants, so this will be the first update of the year. This season will certainly provide various changes.

tortoise2016 1.jpg

I'm thinking about adding more rock, and maybe more water features, but haven't decided yet. The trees are certainly filling out nicely, and the canopy will finally begin to develop this year.

Toroise2016 2.jpg
The big male. He makes many appearances in this thread.

tortoise2016 3.jpg

Here is the smallest of the group (excluding hatchlings).

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Some more.....
pomegranate.jpg
The pomegranates are in full bloom.
herd.jpgHere is finally a full-herd shot. They were all hanging out by the beach after the sun came out today.

I'm on a short break from college this weekend, so I will be posting more tomorrow as well.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
SPRING UPDATE

Spring is finally here, and everything is putting on new growth. I haven't had time to put down new mulch, or pant new plants, so this will be the first update of the year. This season will certainly provide various changes.

View attachment 169998

I'm thinking about adding more rock, and maybe more water features, but haven't decided yet. The trees are certainly filling out nicely, and the canopy will finally begin to develop this year.

View attachment 169999
The big male. He makes many appearances in this thread.

View attachment 170001

Here is the smallest of the group (excluding hatchlings).
Love your enclosure. Inspirational.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
The enclosure looks absolutely great! :D We just had a bit of snow again yesterday so no gardening here yet either. :(

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I am wanting to add some flowering shrubs that can be kept low to the ground (1-3 feet), but can't decide on what to choose. Ideally, something that can overwinter in Zone 8b, but I have taken a liking to hibiscus. I've thought about just sinking the pots into the ground, and pulling them up before the first freeze, but this adds complications to the overall project.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Here are some more from today. Next time I do an update, it will be fully landscaped (mulched, new plants, rocks, etc.).

tortoise 2016 B1.jpg tortoise 2016 B2.jpgThe above picture is showing the pond side. Everything is filling in nicely there too. I am letting that side remain more wild, and low to create a jungle for them.
Tortoise 2016 B3.jpg tortoise 2016 B4.jpg tortoise 2016 B5.jpg tortoise 2016 B6.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I am wanting to add some flowering shrubs that can be kept low to the ground (1-3 feet), but can't decide on what to choose. Ideally, something that can overwinter in Zone 8b, but I have taken a liking to hibiscus. I've thought about just sinking the pots into the ground, and pulling them up before the first freeze, but this adds complications to the overall project.
Good question! :) I have a Spirea bush that provides my Russian with some cover and is also safe for him to eat. He hasn't shown interest in the leaves yet, but there's always this year. He loves hiding under it. I made a PDF for you of the safe shrubs from The Tortoise Table. Maybe you will find something suitable for your tortoise paradise on there!

Attachments

• Shrubs - The Tortoise Table.pdf
    427.8 KB · Views: 19

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Good question! :) I have a Spirea bush that provides my Russian with some cover and is also safe for him to eat. He hasn't shown interest in the leaves yet, but there's always this year. He loves hiding under it. I made a PDF for you of the safe shrubs from The Tortoise Table. Maybe you will find something suitable for your tortoise paradise on there!
Thanks! Those suggestions are quite helpful.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very cool set-up indeed! :)........I think I might spot an Oleander bush? You will want to keep that one well trimmed up high out of reach of the torts, as well as any loose leafs that may fall as one raw leaf has enough poison in it to kill a small child, as well as any pet. If you would like to read more info here is a great link.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?...id=11124774&log$=relatedreviews&logdbfrom=pmc

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Very cool set-up indeed! :)........I think I might spot an Oleander bush? You will want to keep that one well trimmed up high out of reach of the torts, as well as any loose leafs that may fall as one raw leaf has enough poison in it to kill a small child, as well as any pet. If you would like to read more info here is a great link.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?...id=11124774&log$=relatedreviews&logdbfrom=pmc

Thanks for the warning. I didn't realize it was such a toxic plant. I will remove it asap, probably from the property altogether.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Also, I would like to add that I am aware Sago Palms are listed as mildly toxic to mammals, but after reading others' experiences with them and tortoises I planted one. It will be removed eventually as well, but due to its inevitable massive size. Its more of a room issue.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Also, I would like to add that I am aware Sago Palms are listed as mildly toxic to mammals, but after reading others' experiences with them and tortoises I planted one. It will be removed eventually as well, but due to its inevitable massive size. Its more of a room issue.
My policy is always "better safe than sorry" if I'm unsure about feeding a particular plant to my tortoise. He has a good amount of variety so it's never difficult to remove a single plant from the list. ;)

theguy67

10 Year Member!
My policy is always "better safe than sorry" if I'm unsure about feeding a particular plant to my tortoise. He has a good amount of variety so it's never difficult to remove a single plant from the list. ;)

Yes, well they have never shown interest in the Sago Palm as its not a very inviting treat anyway, and there have been reports of larger tortoises devouring entire plants with no effects so the verdict seemed safe; However I'll probably remove it too after the surprising discovery of the Oleander. I'd love to replace them both with banana trees, but they always die!

theguy67

10 Year Member!
One more.....

It always pleases me to see them actually use the water feature (of which I have named tortoise creek). The 2 larger females I have had for over 14 years, so they were not always in the best habitat. One thing they lacked was a pool of water large enough to soak themselves, so it took them a while to take a liking to wading once they had one available.

tortoise creek.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
One more.....

It always pleases me to see them actually use the water feature (of which I have named tortoise creek). The 2 larger females I have had for over 14 years, so they were not always in the best habitat. One thing they lacked was a pool of water large enough to soak themselves, so it took them a while to take a liking to wading once they had one available.

View attachment 170304
Always great to see tortoises start utilizing the water we keep available for them. :)