Redfoot differences

Dėad Lee

My male redfoot I believe is Venezuelain, he has a smooth shell, round scoots above his eyes etc. My friend has a male redfoot that is bigger, his head and legs are more colorful (but not like a cherryhead), and we thought his shell was pyramided, but he looks like a Brazilian from looking at the photos on this fourm, are the Brazilian shells supposed to look pyramided?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
My male redfoot I believe is Venezuelain, he has a smooth shell, round scoots above his eyes etc. My friend has a male redfoot that is bigger, his head and legs are more colorful (but not like a cherryhead), and we thought his shell was pyramided, but he looks like a Brazilian from looking at the photos on this fourm, are the Brazilian shells supposed to look pyramided?
Please post pics of the torts so as to enable us to help you more easily.

Dėad Lee

20170128_143002-1.jpg 20170128_142429-1.jpg

This is mine, I don't have a bottom pic. I probably won't be able to get a pic of my friends till Monday because of her work schedule.
Do some redfoots look pyramided, but are auctually supposed to have bumpy shells? I saw another breed of tortoise, I forget which one, but it looked pyramided but I think it's supposed to look that way.
Are there some tortoise breeds that are supposed to have bumpy shells?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Pyramiding doesn't happen in any wild redfoot population. It's isn't an indication of any particular population. All pyramiding tells you is that a tortoise was raised in too dry conditions for the first few years of life while growing rapidly (this is why it's common in captive raised tortoises).

Some other species of tortoises do seem to show some pyramiding in the wild occasionally, but it isn't particularly common.

Dėad Lee

Pyramiding doesn't happen in any wild redfoot population. It's isn't an indication of any particular population. All pyramiding tells you is that a tortoise was raised in too dry conditions for the first few years of life while growing rapidly (this is why it's common in captive raised tortoises).

Some other species of tortoises do seem to show some pyramiding in the wild occasionally, but it isn't particularly common.
Ok, I wasn't sure about the pyramiding. I do know how it's caused and I have a baby Russian im making sure he says humid enough so it won't happen

Can you tell my redfoot area form those pics or do you need more?

inkling13

5 Year Member
central NY
I don't see any pyramiding with your tort, in fact they are lovely and smooth :) You can see the growth lines/rings but they are not raised and are completely normal. You've done a great job with them!

Dėad Lee

I don't see any pyramiding with your tort, in fact they are lovely and smooth :) You can see the growth lines/rings but they are not raised and are completely normal. You've done a great job with them!
Thank you, but I've only had him a month. My friend bought hers and he was pyramided when she got him.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Redfoot locales ("cherry head", "Venezuelan", "Northern", "Guyana") are usually delineated by morphological characteristics. Color and coloration patterns, shape of the carapace, marbling, etc.

Pyramiding is caused by a multitude of sub-optimal husbandry conditions. The primary culprits would be lack of humidity and UVB exposure, food rich in certain nutrients, individual genetics, "pecking order" for captive groups, etc.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
These torts are not pyramided.
Super looking redfoots.
keep up the good work. :)

Dėad Lee

Redfoot locales ("cherry head", "Venezuelan", "Northern", "Guyana") are usually delineated by morphological characteristics. Color and coloration patterns, shape of the carapace, marbling, etc.

Pyramiding is caused by a multitude of sub-optimal husbandry conditions. The primary culprits would be lack of humidity and UVB exposure, food rich in certain nutrients, individual genetics, "pecking order" for captive groups, etc.
I was wondering if you could tell.what region mine is from.

Dėad Lee

These torts are not pyramided.
Super looking redfoots.
keep up the good work. :)
The pics are of the same tort, I've only had him a month, so I have nothin g to do with how good he looks, but thank you. My friends tort is pyramided, there are no pics of him. She didn't get him till he was older either and he was already pyramided