Redfoot ate peach pit

chipperchip

5 Year Member
Hi Tortoise experts!

I gave Chip a very ripe peach today. I am certain in the wild if he found a peach on the ground it would be extremely ripe and soft like the one I put in his dish. If I would have tried to cut it, it would have just fallen apart in my hand, so I made the decision to just put the whole peach in there and let him snack on it when he wanted to. He partially ate it in the morning, leaving most of it intact. However, when I went to check on him a later this evening the entire peach was completely gone....including the pit:(. Could he have swallowed the pit whole? Should I worry about it getting stuck in him? Should I be concerned that it is toxic for him? Could he have chewed it up? Can it be toxic to him like it could be to a dog?

We guesstimate that Chip is around 5 yrs. old. We determined this by the age his owner said he was when we bought him, plus the amount of time we have had him. His shell is about 10 inches long. He had a considerable growth spurt since last year.

Please, I am open to all comments regarding this. I feel terrible that he ate it. I thought it was too big for him to get in his mouth, so I didn't worry about it. Any advice or similar situations would be appreciated!

the Turtle Shepherd

Location (City and/or State)
nowhere
torts eat seeds in the wild all the time, it makes seeds grow faster when they come out, so,lol, you might have a peach tree soon:) he will be fine:) Yvonne put it perfectly:)

daniellenc

Maryland
No clue if peach pits are toxic to torts but just imagine the aftermath lol. Maybe extra hydrate to ease things along in the meantime!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Are we certain that it was the Redfoot that consumed the peach and stone? Maybe something else swooped in and carried it away. Soak more, add extra aloe and cactus. Wouldnt worry too much.