Red foot tropical fruit

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This is typical of what I feed my Redfoot as far as fruit goes:
Soursop, Sapadillo and mango, almond apples, Suriname cherries, guava etc.
All available for free, or next to nothing here this time of year. But not available at all anywhere but the tropics.
It's a good example about why what works for you may be of no help for someone else in a different location.

Attachments

• 20170726_104644.jpg
    20170726_104644.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 70
  • 20170402_104253-1.jpg
    20170402_104253-1.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 20170507_191444.jpg
    20170507_191444.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 68

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
We don't have tropical fruits like that available in the wild over here in the U.K. Although being in a temperate climate we do have some sort of fruit available for around 7 months of the yr.
Growing wild here we have cherries,pears,apples,plums,blackberries and
raspberries. If your lucky enough to find some, gooseberries and fig trees can be found. I've not tried them but elderberries and sloe can also be found.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
We don't have tropical fruits like that available in the wild over here in the U.K. Although being in a temperate climate we do have some sort of fruit available for around 7 months of the yr.
Growing wild here we have cherries,pears,apples,plums,blackberries and
raspberries. If your lucky enough to find some, gooseberries and fig trees can be found. I've not tried them but elderberries and sloe can also be found.
I forgot about figs.
I get them from my brother. If he knew that they went to feed my animals, he may stop.

AmberD

Ontario
Lucky! We have 10 acres in Ontario, wild strawberries, blackberries, and apples on our property. I have to get tropical fruit from the supermarket. Still have yet to find figs.

Beep-Beep

Hong Kong
Same here in Hong Kong too, tropical fruits are dead cheap, and a few of them simply fall off the trees :)
Papaya are the worse at this time of year, messing up gardens and getting squashed on roads, yep, yep !

ZeroPilot, at the risk of sounding off... what is that slightly obscene-looking green fruit in the top left pic ? Can't recognize it.

On a side note, I really wished wild taro leaves were good for rf torts, they grow everywhere.
Apparently a no-no !

taro.JPG

Very pretty, but irritant.

Cheers,
Beep-Beep

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Hey Zeropilot...nice variety.
Question: is that third image a cashew fruit with the actual nut hanging off the bottom? We have loads of cashew trees here in Palm Beach County too---they can be either red or yellow. Anyway, do the tortoises actually eat the 'apple' part??? I always wondered if they were safe.

daniellenc

Maryland
In the summer I can get tropical fruits in the grocery store but in winter have to go to the Spanish market or buy frozen organic fruit which is expensive.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hey Zeropilot...nice variety.
Question: is that third image a cashew fruit with the actual nut hanging off the bottom? We have loads of cashew trees here in Palm Beach County too---they can be either red or yellow. Anyway, do the tortoises actually eat the 'apple' part??? I always wondered if they were safe.
Yes. But I wait until they are super ripe and soft. .
Only because when they are still on the hard side, they make your mouth and tongue numb.
I've been feeding them to my torts for over 4 years now. (Not every day or anything.)
The flavor is exactly that of a Suriname cherry.
I'm not sure that the numb part bothers the torts. It just bothers me. Like removing or leaving on the cactus spines.......;)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
In the summer I can get tropical fruits in the grocery store but in winter have to go to the Spanish market or buy frozen organic fruit which is expensive.
That's exactly what I was trying to say in my post.
Very often, members will ask "What do you feed your Redfoot?"
What I feed may not be helpful to some. Even MOST members.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Yes. But I wait until they are super ripe and soft. .
Only because when they are still on the hard side, they make your mouth and tongue numb.
I've been feeding them to my torts for over 4 years now. (Not every day or anything.)
The flavor is exactly that of a Suriname cherry.
I'm not sure that the numb part bothers the torts. It just bothers me. Like removing or leaving on the cactus spines.......;)

Yeah, the 'apple' part of the cashew is notoriously astringent. But I do know people who swear that the fully ripe fruit are good.
Since cashews are native to northern Brazil, I would bet $$ that red-footed and yellow-footed tortoises eat the fallen fruit they find under the trees.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yeah, the 'apple' part of the cashew is notoriously astringent. But I do know people who swear that the fully ripe fruit are good.
Since cashews are native to northern Brazil, I would bet $$ that red-footed and yellow-footed tortoises eat the fallen fruit they find under the trees.
I'll bet you're right about them being a natural, local fruit source.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Stopped by a roadside fruit market near the border of Mexico and landed myself a free case of overripe mangos, bananas, apples, pears, and tomatoes. Hispanic farmers are great!

Beep-Beep

Hong Kong
Quick question for the experts out there !
Are lychee and Long Yan fruits ok for redfoot torts ? Again, bucket loads of those around here. I can eat them all but willing to share if green-lighted for torts :)

Cheers,
Beep-Beep

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Quick question for the experts out there !
Are lychee and Long Yan fruits ok for redfoot torts ? Again, bucket loads of those around here. I can eat them all but willing to share if green-lighted for torts :)

Cheers,
Beep-Beep
Yes. But try to avoid the seeds as they are toxic if raw.

Beep-Beep

Hong Kong
Thx cdmay, and noted on the seeds !
Darn, no way out but sharing then... :rolleyes:

Wow at TortoiseForum !!! Outstanding knowledge and info sharing from All members !

Cheers,
Beep-Beep