Votes: 17 42.5%
  • Russian tortoise

Votes: 23 57.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rcwms90

5 Year Member
I'm getting a tortoise this week i wanted a red foot tortoise but everyone keeps saying get a Russian because there small an easy for beginners but i don't care. i can handle a red foot i kinda like its about size an I've been doing so much research on them i don't want a super small one but i want a friendly an social one which one do u thing i should get im gonna build a tortoise table for inside but i spend alot of time outside feeding the birds that come to my back yard so i can probably fix him up something when i'm out there but which one do u think an why?

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Arizona
I like both of these torts, so I had a hard time choosing :( I think red foots are prettier, that is the only reason I said red foot. Both seem to have outgoing personalities, based on TFO members :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Reggie:

If you've had your heart set on a redfoot, then by all means, get a redfoot. But it has been said that a Russian tortoise is a small sulcata (personality-wise).

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Well I have both, but if I had to make a choice, I would probably choose a russian, mainly because my RF does not like men. while my russian loves to see me and the food of course.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I have never owned a russian tortoise,
My redfoot was my first ever tortoise and i find him farely easy to care for He has an amazing personality! x

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
I am a bit biased as I have red foots so I chose Red Foot and also if your heart is saying Red Foot then perhaps that is the way to go?

If you get a Russian I think you will enjoy it but will always wonder about the Red Foot so then may end up with both anyway-that kinds happens to me:D

Good Luck deciding-I think they are both great species and I'm curious about the Russians because I don't have any:D:D:D

Did anyone tell you that this can be addictive????????

Louise

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
They're both good choices. I would base my decision more on the environment (whether indoors or outdoors too) that I was going to keep the tortoise in along with how well I could provide it's requirements such as temperature night and day, ambient humidity, diet, etc...

Russians and Redfoots are nearly at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to environmental needs.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Depends where you live, and whether it comes close to matching the native habitat of the species in question. The more different your climate is, the more you have to work to modify it to their liking.

Redfoots come from the tropical forests and savannas of South America, where it stays pretty warm and humid year round. Russians come from the temperate steppes of Central Asia, where they must hibernate every winter.

I used to have a redfoot when I lived in Florida, but I rehomed her when I moved back here to Colorado. I now have two Russians.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
RUSSIANS!!!!! i love my russian! as i too considered both but realized colorado has low humidity! sulcatas are amazing as well :]

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I agree, base it on where you live, especially humidity. If you have humid summers, a Redfoot might be happier, especially if you could set him up outside (rather than in an air conditioned house). Russians are probably more adaptable to various conditions, but come from an area where the air, at least, is drier.
However, if you are dead set on a Redfoot, as mentioned, you might just want to go with it.
(But have you looked at Hermanns? :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.