Red eared sliders being housed with a yellow belly? Question help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rover15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario canada
I adopted 2 male RES a little while back about 4" each and have been housed together since they where young no aggression issues as of yet. Now I've been offered a yellow belly slider in much need of a good home (currently being housed in a small tank not much room) and I'm curious as to rather or not I can house them together?

I know the turtles should be the same size roughly, there needs to be enough food for all of them, so they aren't fighting for tank space or food. they have the same basic care requirements (correct me if I'm wrong) is sex going to be an issue? I'm not sure if the yellow belly is male or female yet only seen pictures of the small/cramped set up.

I do have a rubber made tub as a temp setup with a basking spot if need be. But I will only take in the yellow belly if it can be housed safely together with the red eared.

I know it is roughly 10gallons per inch of turtle, and 5gallons per inch or every other turtle. I'm currently trying to work out plans for an out door pond once the weather gets better they will spend weekends at my fathers 200 gallon pond when we are over for bbq's or visits.

My main goal would be a pond but for now they will be in an indoor setup with out door time. Any and all input is welcomed just want to makee sure it is possible and safe to house them together before I say yes to this person.

Thank you in advance

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I'm not too sure on this, I did do some research before I decided on a tortoise instead of a water turtle, but I believe a RES and a Yellow belly can be housed together. But there does need to be some quarantine time apart before you can introduce them together. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will come along shortly. :)

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
I did tons of research before picking up my tortoise's as well but someone I know is a rep for littleRESQ and was trying to help find good homes for some red ear sliders so I took them in. Now there is an ad up for a free yellow belly that needs a home, the temp rubber made setup would be the "quarantine tank. I have googled and people say it is fine and natural for them to be housed together is space permits but I'm also hoping someone on here has hands on experience.

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
I have 3 RES and a yellow belly in my pond right now, for awhile I had the yellow belly separated until he got big enough to be in with my others, I thought there might be an aggression issue when I introuced the yellow belly since he is only about a year old and the RES's are about 8 BUTTT they get along great! The yellow belly bit my female RES on the shell once, now, they all swim around like they have been together forever!

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
I ended up picking up the girl. I'm assuming girl smaller claws shorter tale she is in 60 gal rubber maid tube she is about 4" roughly a year and a half old the woman said. My only worry is having 2 males and one female. Other then some algy on her shell she looks great ate 6 minnos in an hour, not a huge pellet turtle but could have just been full, I have mazuri pellets and nutrafin basix tomorrow I'll try some collard greens, red leaf lettuce and or romain

My wife keeps telling me just to toss her in with the guys because she never had an issue when she kept turtles never quarintined them.

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
I don't quarintine, and I've never had an issue either. Im sure others would say this is a huge no no though. I have one female and two males. I think the yellow belly might be a female but still too young to know for sure. My female is the bigest of my RES's and she runs the boys like a boss! lol The boys seem to do the pretty nail dance at eachother more than at the female, but the boys were hatched together in the pond, so they have been together the longest. I don't think you will have a problem as long as they have enough room and food :]

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
That is pretty funny my boys (RES) have done the nail thing to each other ever since I got them, they too have been together since young (not 100% sure how young) both are about 4" got them from a rescue. The yellow belly is deffinitly a female she is 4" as well but in better condition shell wise. I went to the doctors came home an all 3 where in the tank wife claims the kids said she was lonley and begged her to put her in the big tank. All is going good boys bug her from time but she will do it back

Only odd thing is she doesn't seem to be a big basker :s is this normal? I have the large floating dock and the small, I'm trying to find time for a DIY dock. I also have a good idea for a turtle topper using a 10 gallon tank on its side.

Status
Not open for further replies.