Recurring respiratory issues

Drew Chappell

Location (City and/or State)
Fullerton, CA
My juvenile desert tortoise Spot is not hibernating this year (vet recommended to keep it awake), so is inside unless it's a nice day. It has been getting nose bubbles about eery two weeks. Usually they go away after a day, but I have used the nose drops given by my vet once during the season, which cured the problem right up (I think I used the drops after 3 days of bubbles). The weather has been particularly swingy in terms of temp and it's rained a lot for Southern CA this winter.

Is this recurring respiratory issue common for weather like this? How dangerous are recurring bubbles if Spot is not hibernating? Other than the bubbles, it's doing quite well. Good appetite, curious and seeks out the heat to rest.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's very important to keep a tortoise with a recurring RI problem warm all the time. I wouldn't even allow the night time temp to get down below 75F degrees, but daytime it should be (all over the habitat with no cool side/warm side) around 85F degrees.

One thing to consider - a tortoise's nostrils don't lead down into their lungs, they go to the roof of a tortoise's mouth. So it's quite common to see the occasional bubble come out the nose. This is merely mucous from the mouth, and not discharge from illness. To know for sure if he's sick or not, a smear needs to be put on a slide and tested.