Recommended Online Tortoise Dealers????

Semper Fi

I've been stalking this site for almost a year.....learned so much from all you guys......gained much knowledge...built an enclosure, got my substrate....lighting, che, hut and a potting plate for a dish....now I'm ready to get my first friend....a little scary. I live in the boonies and will have to get him from an online dealer. I want to know which sites are recommended by you guys. All I want is a HEALTHY tortoise and some above par customer service....any help? anyone?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

Semper Fi

Thanks for responding....I was thinking of either a Russian or a redfoot....I'm up here in N.Y. Catskill mountains and think a red foot would do better since their tolerance to lower temps....

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks for responding....I was thinking of either a Russian or a redfoot....I'm up here in N.Y. Catskill mountains and think a red foot would do better since their tolerance to lower temps....

Semper Fi, Marine! You are probably reasonably near a very good tortoise breeder named Gary Bright. He lives near Stamford and Davenport, NY. He breeds several species of tortoises which will do well in your area. Send me a personal message and I will give you his contact info.

Bill Z
US Army, 1968-1975
My son was a Marine

Semper Fi

Hello and welcome Marine.

I wouldn't buy from an on-line dealer.

Buy directly from a breeder who starts their tortoises correctly. These are few and far between out in the world, but plentiful here on this site.

What species are you looking for?

Please read these BEFORE you buy anything:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/
Tom...wow....just read those threads.....makes me glad I'm asking and finding the right breeder....thanks!

zovick

10 Year Member!
I've been stalking this site for almost a year.....learned so much from all you guys......gained much knowledge...built an enclosure, got my substrate....lighting, che, hut and a potting plate for a dish....now I'm ready to get my first friend....a little scary. I live in the boonies and will have to get him from an online dealer. I want to know which sites are recommended by you guys. All I want is a HEALTHY tortoise and some above par customer service....any help? anyone?

Just sent you Gary's contact info. Look in your Inbox Conversations.

Bill Z

Semper Fi

Thanks I got it...but it wouldn't let me message back....I'm a mechanic not a techie....I don't even own a cell phone....lol

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I think Russians are more tolerant to lower temps if that's what you're after. Reds need to be kept warm 24/7.

Semper Fi

@lisa127
On the Reptiles magazine page, I found in the Red foot tortoise care sheet the following:
The tortoises themselves can also handle surprisingly cold temperatures, as low as 45 degrees, with no problems. When nighttime temperatures drop below 50 degrees, a heated hide box should be provided that maintains at least 60 degrees at night (in the 70s is better), or the tortoises should be brought in during those times. Red-footed tortoises are kept outdoors year round in some parts of the country where nighttime lows in the winter are 20 degrees (including here in Las Vegas). It is absolutely required that these tortoises are checked on each evening to make sure they get into a heated area and do not fall asleep out in the open and become exposed to cold temperatures at night.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
@lisa127
On the Reptiles magazine page, I found in the Red foot tortoise care sheet the following:
The tortoises themselves can also handle surprisingly cold temperatures, as low as 45 degrees, with no problems. When nighttime temperatures drop below 50 degrees, a heated hide box should be provided that maintains at least 60 degrees at night (in the 70s is better), or the tortoises should be brought in during those times. Red-footed tortoises are kept outdoors year round in some parts of the country where nighttime lows in the winter are 20 degrees (including here in Las Vegas). It is absolutely required that these tortoises are checked on each evening to make sure they get into a heated area and do not fall asleep out in the open and become exposed to cold temperatures at night.
Yeah, I don't agree with that. Where these tortoises are from never gets that cold.

Russians I don't keep but I know they can handle lower night temps than redfoots.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@lisa127

Those temperatures are simply wrong.

Can a red foot survive a night outside at 45-50? Yes. Probably, but that does not make it good for them, and it is not what we should be doing to them.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
While I highly respect the experience of the author of that article (Tyler Stewart), almost everything he advocates in it runs counter to everything I know about red foots and how I keep mine. If you read through the red foot sub on this forum I think you will see that most here would not agree with very much that was written there.

Red Foots are essentially a jungle tortoise. They don't exactly like it hot, but they are not a cold tolerant species. Like Tom mentioned, can they survive 45-50f? Probably, but it isn't what is best for them, and it isn't what almost anyone around here would advocate.

As for the actual debate between russians and red foots, either are going to need a night box with those kind of temps anyways. I definitely think the russian is the more cold tolerant of the two though.

I personally feel like a russian is your better overall choice, but ultimately it is you that really has to decide what it is you want. I just hope that if you do eventually choose a red foot that you turn to the great info on this site for husbandry suggestions rather than the information of that care sheet.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
In making your decision, also keep in mind there is a large difference in size between Russians and reds. I'm not sure what size tort you're looking for but just wanted to point that out.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
I just sent you a private message - look in your Conversation in-box. I am in Albany, NY.

Semper Fi

Thanks to all! This is exactly why I am here and didn't just run out and buy a tortoise without having the ability to care for it properly. I want a tortoise that not be too large but will thrive in my area.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
@lisa127
The tortoises themselves can also handle surprisingly cold temperatures, as low as 45 degrees, with no problems. When nighttime temperatures drop below 50 degrees, a heated hide box should be provided that maintains at least 60 degrees at night (in the 70s is better), or the tortoises should be brought in during those times.

Can a red foot survive a night outside at 45-50? Yes. Probably, but that does not make it good for them, and it is not what we should be doing to them.

How come when I say it, it's wrong, but when Tom says it, it's right (kinda the story of my life around this forum, now that I think about it)? Did nobody read what was posted? Nowhere did I suggest keeping a redfoot tortoise at 45 degrees. It clearly says when night time temps reach 50ish degrees, a heated hide should be provided. I absolutely stand by what I said. It says right in the quote that they should be maintained 60+ degrees at night. You think they don't get 60 degrees in the wild? The last article I saw about redfoots in Reptiles Magazine (by someone I don't know or remember) showed two horribly pyramided redfoots breeding, pyramided to the point that they should never have published them in the magazine. If he posted those tortoises in this forum, you guys would run him out of town! Sheesh people.... Read before attacking, then I wouldn't have a dozen people emailing me about the craziness that's going on in this forum with my name attached to it LOL

Last edited:

Semper Fi

I'm sorry I've caused so much trouble around here ....I understood about the heated hide and would never leave a tortoise near those [email protected] worries mate! Just want a tortoise that has a tough character around him.....

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
For the record, I'm pretty sure I watched an episode of "Naked and Afraid" that had them at 50 degrees in the middle of the night and they ate a redfoot tortoise the next day.

While I highly respect the experience of the author of that article (Tyler Stewart), almost everything he advocates in it runs counter to everything I know about red foots and how I keep mine.
I'm still unaware of anything I've suggested as far as care for a redfoot tortoise that was not accurate. I'd be tickled to death to hear how you keep them in their ideal conditions in Michigan. Anyone outside of Southern Florida in the United States doesn't keep them in their 'ideal conditions.'

As for the actual debate between russians and red foots, either are going to need a night box with those kind of temps anyways. I definitely think the russian is the more cold tolerant of the two though.

I personally feel like a russian is your better overall choice, but ultimately it is you that really has to decide what it is you want. I just hope that if you do eventually choose a red foot that you turn to the great info on this site for husbandry suggestions rather than the information of that care sheet.
Technically, Russians don't NEED a hidebox, they certainly don't have them in the wild, and when given better options, don't use them to hibernate in captivity. The majority of mine bury themselves in the root ball of plants in the enclosures. Pretty safe to say that a Russian is more cold (and heat) hardy than a redfoot. If anyone was suggesting that I said anything other than that, they should read my article again.