Really dry Russian Tortoise

Bethanie

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I have a russian tprtoise and she is about 4-5 years old and her name is Anola. We have had her for about 5 months. Lately her skin has been EXTREMLY dry. I give her two baths everyday and let her soak for about 20 minutes. She also lost some of her back nails and she does this weird thing where she starts opening her mouth and I don't know why. I'm going to take her to a vet but before I did I wanted to know anyone's feedback. Thank you!!

mscrys88

Aww poor baby sounds like she's sick. Hope the visit to the doc can help her. Did you talk to the previous owners and see if she had any issues similar to these before?

Bethanie

I got her from petsmart. When I got her she was fine and happy. She still is happy but she's just really dry so I hope the vet has answers :-( it started happening after we brought her inside full time for the fall/winter

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Open-mouth breathing or gasping usually means a respiratory infection.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I have a russian tprtoise and she is about 4-5 years old and her name is Anola. We have had her for about 5 months. Lately her skin has been EXTREMLY dry. I give her two baths everyday and let her soak for about 20 minutes. She also lost some of her back nails and she does this weird thing where she starts opening her mouth and I don't know why. I'm going to take her to a vet but before I did I wanted to know anyone's feedback. Thank you!!
Welcome to the forum and wishes for your tort to get well...SOON!