Realization of a Long Term Dream...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I "discovered" leopard tortoises in the early 90's. I honestly can't remember when I first became aware that there was a different South African variety, but I wanted them ever since I found out about them. I saw them in the wild both in Johannesburg in 1998 and again in and around Cape Town in 2005. Been in love with them ever since.

In 2010 I finally found a source for captive bred babies. The source I found just happened to be the main guy that had been producing them in the states since 1990. He was a friend of a friend. I was granted the privilege and pleasure of going to his house, getting a tour, and buying the babies directly from him. I am very grateful for that opportunity. You can see the babies here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/2010-south-african-leopard-thread.20528/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/meet-toms-leopard-tortoises.56643/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding-ii-the-leopards.18931/

I raised them to adulthood and I introduced the males and females in the Spring of 2016. I started getting eggs after a month or so, and began the long process of cooling the eggs to break the diapause and then incubation. The first few clutches did not hatch. Disappointing, but not unexpected for young first time moms, and inexperienced males. The eggs pictured below were laid by my female "V-Neck" on October 11, 2016. There are several other clutches that were laid in the weeks after that, and I now have high hopes for those eggs too.

Enjoy the next generation:
IMG_3364.JPG

4 eggs are pipping as of last night. I will update this thread as things progress.

I can't put in to words the joy, exhilaration, and happiness this brings to me and I'm glad to have our TFO community to share it with.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Congrats! ! ! ! ! !;););) For your achievement! ! ! ! !

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Unbelievable @Tom !! Just a few weeks ago we were looking at those eggs together hoping all was well and hatching immanent. I can only imagine how excited you must be. Congratulations!!!!!

DWB

5 Year Member
Awesome!!! Congratulations from the Chino Valley Chapter of the CTTC! Lucky babies to be sure!

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Thats fantastic Tom! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the experience. Please share more pics as things develop.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Love it! I should have my first leopard hatchlings soon also. All though I have only been working towards it for 4 years and they are only regular leos. I share your excitement.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Kudos to you Tom. I don't know you personally, but I know you're passionate about tortoise keeping. You've undoubtedly helped many throughout your journey in this hobby. Glad to see that you've come full circle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw shucks! I still have 4 clutches of SA leopard (rotten) eggs in my incubator!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats Tom, how exciting for you. Very happy for you. Share more pics of the little ones please.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Aw shucks! I still have 4 clutches of SA leopard (rotten) eggs in my incubator!

I had a bunch of that too. The first few clutches from each female did not hatch. I'm guessing that the females bodies weren't ready for it yet, or that the male couldn't figure out how to get the job done. This clutch was one of the last of the year for me. I hope this means the rest of the clutches from the end of last year will also hatch. And yours too!

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
I had a bunch of that too. The first few clutches from each female did not hatch. I'm guessing that the females bodies weren't ready for it yet, or that the male couldn't figure out how to get the job done. This clutch was one of the last of the year for me. I hope this means the rest of the clutches from the end of last year will also hatch. And yours too!

Interesting...

Curious, how far into the incubation process can you find out if an egg is fertilized and alive?

When I studied ornithology, we would know within a week, and pretty easily too. We would hold the egg up to a light and can see the live chick developing (or not).

I know tortoise incubation is much longer, but is there a point when you can know?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
You already know how excited I am for you and TFO in general. Anyone that has been around TFO for the last few years should appreciate this accomplishment of yours. I can't wait to raise up some 'Tom' babies to add with my group. Congrats my friend and job well done

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Interesting...

Curious, how far into the incubation process can you find out if an egg is fertilized and alive?

When I studied ornithology, we would know within a week, and pretty easily too. We would hold the egg up to a light and can see the live chick developing (or not).

I know tortoise incubation is much longer, but is there a point when you can know?

You can candle tortoise eggs and there are certainly signs like "chalking", color changes from whitish or yellowish to orange-ish or red-ish, and sometime blood vessels can be seen later in the process. Later in the term, the whole egg looks solid, but is that a baby tortoise, or is it rotten inside? The problem is that it is just not always clear with tortoises. Certainly not to me, and others have said the same. Sometimes you candle and think there is nothing, and then a baby hatches out of it a month or two later. Or vice versa. I think most of us tortoise people just incubate them all and leave them alone until they hatch or rot.