Ready for hibernation or sick?

Geng

5 Year Member
Ever since the weather cooled down (a lot), my tortoise has slowed down extremely. She sleeps the whole day and doesn’t eat anymore. Unless I wake her up, warm soak her 40 min and feed her favorite snacks, which are dandelions. Then she looks normal and alive, and chomps her dandelions away. She ate last Sunday and after that she is only sleeping.

The temp are: basking 100F, warm 80-90F, cool 70F, night above 60-65F. It’s a 2 year old Russian.

Am I the only one experiencing a slowed down tortoise ( I understand that lots of pet tortoises are making ready to hibernate), or is mine sick? I have a vet appointment next Thursday, so in the meantime I’m gonna bump up her temp in her sleeping spot, and run a CHE during night.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Lots of people have Russians that are slowing down like this at the moment.

It is a reaction to the shorter days and, yes, your tort is thinking about hibernation even if temperatures are ideal.

You need the lights on full and bright for 14 hours a day. You will still see a marked drop off in activity and appetite until spring probably, but keep an eye on weight and soak every morning for 30 minutes in warm water to get your tort going for the day.

Geng

5 Year Member
Lots of people have Russians that are slowing down like this at the moment.

It is a reaction to the shorter days and, yes, your tort is thinking about hibernation even if temperatures are ideal.

You need the lights on full and bright for 14 hours a day. You will still see a marked drop off in activity and appetite until spring probably, but keep an eye on weight and soak every morning for 30 minutes in warm water to get your tort going for the day.

Okay, that calms me down. I suppose a vet visit that I have next thursday won't hurt?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Okay, that calms me down. I suppose a vet visit that I have next thursday won't hurt?
I'm not sure they'll tell you anything different.

Is this vet experienced with tortoises? If not then I would stay away. An inexperienced vet can do more harm than good.

If a vitamin injection is suggested, pick up your tortoise and run for the hills. Vitamin A overdose is very easy in tortoises and causes horrific skin problems.

Geng

5 Year Member
I'm not sure they'll tell you anything different.

Is this vet experienced with tortoises? If not then I would stay away. An inexperienced vet can do more harm than good.

If a vitamin injection is suggested, pick up your tortoise and run for the hills. Vitamin A overdose is very easy in tortoises and causes horrific skin problems.

The vet I'm seeing does have experience with tortoises and reptiles. When my tortoise had a runny nose last year I also went to this vet. They gave me some medicine, which cured her runny nose.

However, I had my thinking about some advice he gave me. He said that my basking spot had to bump up to 125F, and my tortoise playing outside in the summer during days of 80F isn't recommed.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The vet I'm seeing does have experience with tortoises and reptiles. When my tortoise had a runny nose last year I also went to this vet. They gave me some medicine, which cured her runny nose.

However, I had my thinking about some advice he gave me. He said that my basking spot had to bump up to 125F, and my tortoise playing outside in the summer during days of 80F isn't recommed.
Basking of 125F isn't recommended. That's far too hot. 105 is the absolute maximum.

Having your tort out on sunny days at 80F is just fine. I live in the UK and we'd never get a tort out if we waited for it to be warmer than that.

The temperature at ground level in full sun is much warmer than the measured air temperature in the shade for the day that you see in a weather forecast.

You might find this thread I made useful - it's about getting a tortoise outside in a cooler climate
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

Geng

5 Year Member
Basking of 125F isn't recommended. That's far too hot. 105 is the absolute maximum.

Having your tort out on sunny days at 80F is just fine. I live in the UK and we'd never get a tort out if we waited for it to be warmer than that.

The temperature at ground level in full sun is much warmer than the measured air temperature in the shade for the day that you see in a weather forecast.

You might find this thread I made useful - it's about getting a tortoise outside in a cooler climate
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/
Will read it when I get home tonight. Thanks for the help!