Raphael the african sulcuta

Antoni

Hey everyone, on my 1st thread people have joined in and helped me through the walk through of having my 1st tortoise. I have finally stabilized my indoor enclosement with temps 85-90•f and 90% humidity. He has 2 bowls of water (deeper one to soak/ and he poops and pee on it) while the other one is about 4mm high next to the food where he likes to drink. Now i started this thread so i can ask random questions and hear your opinions (BEFORE) trying them. I emphasized before because I don't want you guys to panick and think that i did something horrible .. anyway my previous question was whether sulcutas are known to swim. This question came up because ive seen threads here about it and the web shows various answers. Ive gotten a reply on my previous thread so i an leaning towards the (hell no dont do it) side.
My new question is about protein. How much protein does a hatchling need? I have an organic hemp superfood (for myself) but thought hey, maybe rafa needs protein and i dont even know how to provide it. Ive read the food guide so im ready for people to tell me (if u dont have it in your back yard buy it at the groceries) its a matter of knowing how much is too much for a hatchling at 1-2 inches.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Antoni

In addition, i feed it various grass and weeds mixed with mazuri and reptivite. He loves it and usually finishes his plate, not sure if mazuri would have protein in it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sulcata can swim. Not every one, but lots of them do. Even my leopards can swim. I wouldn't let them swim in too deep of a pond that is not easy for them to get in and out of.
The diet you are feeding sounds good to me. Add as much weeds, grass, flowers, hay as you can. Added protein is not needed that I know of.
I do believe Mazuri does have some protein. As part of a wide variety diet, Mazuri is a good addition with minimal protein.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey everyone, on my 1st thread people have joined in and helped me through the walk through of having my 1st tortoise. I have finally stabilized my indoor enclosement with temps 85-90•f and 90% humidity. He has 2 bowls of water (deeper one to soak/ and he poops and pee on it) while the other one is about 4mm high next to the food where he likes to drink. Now i started this thread so i can ask random questions and hear your opinions (BEFORE) trying them. I emphasized before because I don't want you guys to panick and think that i did something horrible .. anyway my previous question was whether sulcutas are known to swim. This question came up because ive seen threads here about it and the web shows various answers. Ive gotten a reply on my previous thread so i an leaning towards the (hell no dont do it) side.
My new question is about protein. How much protein does a hatchling need? I have an organic hemp superfood (for myself) but thought hey, maybe rafa needs protein and i dont even know how to provide it. Ive read the food guide so im ready for people to tell me (if u dont have it in your back yard buy it at the groceries) its a matter of knowing how much is too much for a hatchling at 1-2 inches.
Thanks for your thoughts.

I would not say they are "known to swim", but smaller ones can swim. Bigger ones sink. I would never let them have access to water that deep without direct supervision at all times.

Your temps: 85-90 where? It should be 100 under the basking lamp and it should drop down to 80ish at night. 85-90 is a good ambient temp for daytime, but not hot enough for basking or cool enough for night.

Your "deep" bowl: How deep is it? Be careful. Many little tortoises flip and drown in their water bowls.

They do need some protein in their diet. Mazuri provides this and so does , clover, alfalfa, peas and green beans. I don't know about hemp for tortoises. Be sure they are well hydrated when feeding these higher protein foods.

Antoni

I would not say they are "known to swim", but smaller ones can swim. Bigger ones sink. I would never let them have access to water that deep without direct supervision at all times.

Your temps: 85-90 where? It should be 100 under the basking lamp and it should drop down to 80ish at night. 85-90 is a good ambient temp for daytime, but not hot enough for basking or cool enough for night.

Your "deep" bowl: How deep is it? Be careful. Many little tortoises flip and drown in their water bowls.

They do need some protein in their diet. Mazuri provides this and so does , clover, alfalfa, peas and green beans. I don't know about hemp for tortoises. Be sure they are well hydrated when feeding these higher protein foods.
85-90 all through except basking area which is around 100 maybe and hide is at 80. At night i use the CHE which doesnt get as hot as my basking light because i dont want to leave the CHE inside, i read i could harm my sully that way. So its around 80-85• at night. Thanks for letting me know the more accurate temps. Ill work on that too. Also the deeper one is only 5 mm, i tried it out first to see if he can get in and out on his own, i have the dish burrowed so it does have to climb in. Hes used it multiple times.

Antoni

Sulcata can swim. Not every one, but lots of them do. Even my leopards can swim. I wouldn't let them swim in too deep of a pond that is not easy for them to get in and out of.
The diet you are feeding sounds good to me. Add as much weeds, grass, flowers, hay as you can. Added protein is not needed that I know of.
I do believe Mazuri does have some protein. As part of a wide variety diet, Mazuri is a good addition with minimal protein.
Id rather not risk it ahahah thanks :)

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Mazuri pellets are 15 % protein so I would assume that much is OK or they would be out of business by now ! I think it would be wise to stick to plant as opposed to animal protein .

Antoni

Mazuri pellets are 15 % protein so I would assume that much is OK or they would be out of business by now ! I think it would be wise to stick to plant as opposed to animal protein .
I dont want it to eat animal protein. So im sticking with mazuri on that haha

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I dont want it to eat animal protein. So im sticking with mazuri on that haha
I feed Speedy alfalfa hay pellets , they are also about 15 % protein . I nuke them in the microwave with a little water to soften them up , and mix them in with his other food .