Status
Not open for further replies.

Beak Jr

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Is Ranon's beak going to be okay?

IMG_2052.jpg

I've had Ranon in my care for about 2 years, when he came to me he was in pretty rough shape, he seems to have made a full recovery from the poor conditions he lived in in the past, but has some residual physical defects. He has slight pyramiding, very skinny hind legs (although he walks upright for the most part) and has a bit of a duck bill.

He eats well for the most part, but I'm wondering if this is something that may just get worse in the future. I have filed his upper beak back a few millimeters and he hasn't seemed to notice. I hesitate to do any other work on him fearing that his overbite is bad enough that he wouldn't be able to connect his beak to cut his own food.

He is housed in a tortoise table, with a heat spot lamp and a reptisun 10.0 18", he has access to a cuttlebone which he has never touched, and he gets reptical sprinkled on his greens several times a week.

If anyone has any suggestions for preventing any further damage, or how I could repair any damage done please let me know.

Thanks,
Beak Jr

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Feed him on a ruff flat rock or a piece of ruff tile. It will help to file his beak down.

Oh, and if it doesn't seem to be working after a month or so, and it's getting bigger, you can file it, clip it or have the vet do it. Search filing beak on here and you should find a couple threads explaining what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.