Rainbow Of Reds @ The Cove'

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
What causes marbling?

Keratin makes up the tortoise’s shell. Within this build up are layers that contain beta-keratin, in contrast to the alpha-keratin found in other animals. The beta-keratin, not to be confused with beta carotine, also contains melanin. The different proteins’ make up of this is what effects the coloring and or in this case “marbling of the shell.” Without getting very heavy on the subject…light that is reflected back from these layers also plays a role on the “visual” color you and I see.
Here is a Good read …..
J Morphol. 2013 Feb;274(2):175-93. doi: 10.1002/jmor.20086. Epub 2012 Oct 15.
Cornification in reptilian epidermis occurs through the deposition of keratin-associated beta-proteins (beta-keratins) onto a scaffold of intermediate filament keratins.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23065677

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Keratin makes up the tortoise’s shell. Within this build up are layers that contain beta-keratin, in contrast to the alpha-keratin found in other animals. The beta-keratin, not to be confused with beta carotine, also contains melanin. The different proteins’ make up of this is what effects the coloring and or in this case “marbling of the shell.” Without getting very heavy on the subject…light that is reflected back from these layers also plays a role on the “visual” color you and I see.
Here is a Good read …..
J Morphol. 2013 Feb;274(2):175-93. doi: 10.1002/jmor.20086. Epub 2012 Oct 15.
Cornification in reptilian epidermis occurs through the deposition of keratin-associated beta-proteins (beta-keratins) onto a scaffold of intermediate filament keratins.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23065677
So is there a way to promote marbling?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
So is there a way to promote marbling?
No......
melanocyte /mel·a·no·cyte/ (mel´ah-no-sīt) (mĕ-lan´o-sīt) any of the dendritic clear cells of the epidermis that synthesize tyrosinase and, within their melanosomes, the pigment melanin; the melanosomes are then transferred from melanocytes to keratinocytes.melanocyt´ic dorland()
Dorland's Medical Dictionary for Health Consumers. © 2007 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I'd love to live a day in your life getting to be around these beautiful torts
David .....thanks for the Kuddo's .....your welcome to stop on by anytime ....although I might put ya to work ....;)

Bryan

10 Year Member!
You have a number of exceptionally marbled individuals, very nice! I hope to add a couple of marbled females to my fairly heavily marbled male in the future.