R.I.P Tuba the Tortoise

Chrismiss

Sorry guys, just wanted to put this out there, my hatchling Hermanns tortoise named Tuba has recently passed away last night. I just felt like I should say something.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sorry for your loss.

We like to learn from these tragedies, so that we might prevent it from happening again in the future. If you feel up to it, we'd love to know more of the details about what happened and why, but please don't rush if you are not ready for this.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
We all learn from tragedy and experience. Take this time to learn new more of the intricacies of tortoise and turtle husbandry. When the time is right you'll be able to adopt a new friend.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Please accept my sincere condolences. Losing and old/ailing animal sucks, but losing a baby, is sucks twice as much! So sorry for your loss. Please share details with us so we all can learn better preventive care. There is never too much of prevention in human and animal health

Chrismiss

To answer any questions about how he may have passed, I think he could have had a respiratory problem and I didn't notice right away. Only until the day before he passed I had realized he didnt seem like he was acting normal. I think bubbles from his nose when he was breathing was a sign. Yes, I will be adopting a new friend soon But if anyone has any suggestions on who to buy it from, that would be great, I didnt have much luck with Tortoise Town. Im looking for any Testudo species under $200 or even $150 but still captive bred. THANK YOU ALL!!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
You maybe correct about the RI. I have read somewhere on here that it's recommended that baby torts of ALL species are kept at 80F temp inside their humid hides (coolest place of enclosure) and appropriate basking temps, without night time temp drops through their 1st year, then once bit more established they can start being kept more as species specific. Maybe wrong about that one... anyway those lil baby torts are very delicate and prone to respiratory infections in humid environment when temps are too low. Before you get your new friend please be sure your set up is complete with appropriate UVB/heating and reliable temp/humidity gauges. Arm yourself in the information from the care sheets, also scan through the health section on your species to be aware what issues are commonly occurring, anticipate problems and proactively counteract them. Do it all to honor memory of your little Tuba and keep us posted here. We'll be rooting for you

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am sorry for the loss of your baby tortoise. Best of luck with another one!
We are all learning, all the time.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Sorry to hear of loss. If you're not up to a baby which requires so much more care (since they are more fragile then sub adult and adults) perhaps an older tortoise is more in order. There are many on Craigslist that need good homes...

Chrismiss

I just bought a russian tort! Hopefully this one doesnt die. Sad, but im over it now. Everything dies at some point

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry for your loss but good luck with the new one.
The caresheets on your species and beginners Mistakes will help you avoid as many probs as possible.
Make sure you sterilise all your equipment well before using with your new tort.

Chrismiss

Sorry for your loss but good luck with the new one.
The caresheets on your species and beginners Mistakes will help you avoid as many probs as possible.
Make sure you sterilise all your equipment well before using with your new tort.

Thanks for the tip, I think I should probably look at those caresheets!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks for the tip, I think I should probably look at those caresheets!
They will definitely help you and help keep your tort safe and well.
It's surprising how much care is involved in keeping a healthy tort.
It takes time to read and absorb but best to do if it keeps your new tort well.
Ask as many questions as you need too there is always someone around to help.