Quick Question here

Status
Not open for further replies.

slipperypete

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Im should be buying a red footer on the weekend
and i was wondering if you had to keep the light on 24/7 or turn it off when i go to bed and turn it on when i wake up.?
Thx :tort:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Turn the lights off at night. All animals needs a day-night cycle for proper rest. If you don't turn the lights off at night, your tortoise could become distressed.

The easy thing to do is just plug your light into an electric timer. Mine automatically comes on at 7am, and turns off at 9pm everyday, so I don't have to worry about it. :)

Katherine

5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Turn the lights off at night. All animals needs a day-night cycle for proper rest. If you don't turn the lights off at night, your tortoise could become distressed.

The easy thing to do is just plug your light into an electric timer. Mine automatically comes on at 7am, and turns off at 9pm everyday, so I don't have to worry about it. :)

+ 1 on the importance of a photo period. If you are using the light for heat there are alternate sources of heat (a lot of people on here use CHEs) or dark bulbs that you can switch to overnight so the tortoise doesn't get too chilly in the absence of his light. Congrats on the new tortoise!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Photo periods are very important- although you also need to make sure that night time temps are OK as well. Most of us use ceramic heat emitters to accomplish this if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.