Questions, questions, questions......

Bibi

Sorry, I live in Morocco and have taken two tortoises into my care which were abandoned in a villa. They are active, eating and do not seem too timid.

I have a number of questions.
1. I need to identify, I thought they were female, spur thigh tortoises but someone in the introduction forum mentioned Greek? The food lists seem to suggest that certain tortoises should not eat fruit but Daphnie loves apple?

2. Fed with hibiscus flower this morning which was a bit hit, followed by lettuce, courgette and cucumber. All the lettuce went but the cucumber remained. Do I practice a little 'tough love' and withhold the lettuce? I am in the process of trying to identify local plant/weeds they will eat but I am very tentative at the moment.

3. They seem to enjoy their

Bibi

Sorry last post was moved and cut short.

3. They seemed to enjoy their soak but I wondered when would be the best time. I also use a soft toothbrush, gently on their shells. I have one for each tortoise for hygiene. They have constant access to the white water bowl but I will need to put stones in the bottom as they seemed to find it a little slippery or I was possibly considering cutting up a bath mat as I understand they can eat stones.
It was very hot here today 44 degrees centigrade and 'dry' in the full sun and 29 degrees in the shade.

4. I have taken pictures of their current area and would be grateful for any comments or suggestions. They can have access to an area twice the size if I have no concerns about anyone stepping on them or opening the door onto them so this happens during the day and when I am at home alone or with my partner.

I would be grateful for any advice.
Many thanks

Attachments

• Daphnie.jpg
    Daphnie.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Gerry.jpg
    Gerry.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 13
  • tortieone.jpg
    tortieone.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 13
  • tortiethree.jpg
    tortiethree.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 13
  • tortietwo.jpg
    tortietwo.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 13

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Sorry, I live in Morocco and have taken two tortoises into my care which were abandoned in a villa. They are active, eating and do not seem too timid.

I have a number of questions.
1. I need to identify, I thought they were female, spur thigh tortoises but someone in the introduction forum mentioned Greek? The food lists seem to suggest that certain tortoises should not eat fruit but Daphnie loves apple?

2. Fed with hibiscus flower this morning which was a bit hit, followed by lettuce, courgette and cucumber. All the lettuce went but the cucumber remained. Do I practice a little 'tough love' and withhold the lettuce? I am in the process of trying to identify local plant/weeds they will eat but I am very tentative at the moment.

3. They seem to enjoy their
1. Yes, Greeks, probably Testudo graeca soussensis. Do not feed fruit.
2. Hibiscus flowers are an excellent choice, lettuce okay in a mixed diet, courgette and cucumber only in moderation. Yes, withhold food until they eat sensibly. Be tougher than them. They can go without food for a long time and will eat what they are given when hungry enough and will soon get used to the new diet.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Sorry last post was moved and cut short.

3. They seemed to enjoy their soak but I wondered when would be the best time. I also use a soft toothbrush, gently on their shells. I have one for each tortoise for hygiene. They have constant access to the white water bowl but I will need to put stones in the bottom as they seemed to find it a little slippery or I was possibly considering cutting up a bath mat as I understand they can eat stones.
It was very hot here today 44 degrees centigrade and 'dry' in the full sun and 29 degrees in the shade.

4. I have taken pictures of their current area and would be grateful for any comments or suggestions. They can have access to an area twice the size if I have no concerns about anyone stepping on them or opening the door onto them so this happens during the day and when I am at home alone or with my partner.

I would be grateful for any advice.
Many thanks
3. i soak in the late afternoon, but many do it in the morning. Doesn't matter, i don't think. Terracotta plant saucers have a bit more grip.
4. Looks a perfectly acceptable Moroccan style enclosure to me. :)