Questions about breeding

mporcelhall

Location (City and/or State)
Aiken, SC
What permits or licenses are required to breed tortoises for profit? I'm a hobbyist tortoise guy thinking about breeding. I have looked online and I can't find a clear answer. I checked USDA but it doesn't apply to cold blooded animals. Can someone please help me out. I live in South Carolina. Our state laws are fairly lax on such things but I'm more or less looking for federal requirements.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1502421538.720371.jpg
Please you said for profit ! You pay $1000.00 for a trio of torts , you spend $1000.00 for a enclosure , you spend $1000.00 a year for food ( you spend $10.00 a week 52 weeks in a year ) and if your lucky no vet. Bills this year !and now you have 10 eggs that all hatch and you sell the baby's for $200.00 each ! What profit ?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I agree, it takes a lot of time before you will recoup your initial "investment". And even that isn't a guarantee, lots of thinks can go wrong. Such as a female becoming egg bound and dying.

I personally enjoy buying hatchlings and raising them myself instead of buying adults. That way I know they are nice and healthy. Every time I see proven breeding adults for sale, I always ask myself "why are they selling these money making machines?" I always come to the same conclusion. Which is that there is probably another reason they are trying to get rid of them. Especially when they are only letting go of that pair and keeping the others.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are no federal licenses needed to breed tortoises.