1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Questions about breeding

Discussion in 'Tortoise Breeding' started by mporcelhall, Aug 10, 2017.

1. mporcelhall

mporcelhall New Member

What permits or licenses are required to breed tortoises for profit? I'm a hobbyist tortoise guy thinking about breeding. I have looked online and I can't find a clear answer. I checked USDA but it doesn't apply to cold blooded animals. Can someone please help me out. I live in South Carolina. Our state laws are fairly lax on such things but I'm more or less looking for federal requirements.
  2. Grandpa Turtle 144

Grandpa Turtle 144 Well-Known Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hi
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1502421538.720371.jpg
    Please you said for profit ! You pay $1000.00 for a trio of torts , you spend $1000.00 for a enclosure , you spend $1000.00 a year for food ( you spend $10.00 a week 52 weeks in a year ) and if your lucky no vet. Bills this year !and now you have 10 eggs that all hatch and you sell the baby's for $200.00 each ! What profit ?
    Jbrez likes this.
  3. G-stars

G-stars Well-Known Member

I agree, it takes a lot of time before you will recoup your initial "investment". And even that isn't a guarantee, lots of thinks can go wrong. Such as a female becoming egg bound and dying.

I personally enjoy buying hatchlings and raising them myself instead of buying adults. That way I know they are nice and healthy. Every time I see proven breeding adults for sale, I always ask myself "why are they selling these money making machines?" I always come to the same conclusion. Which is that there is probably another reason they are trying to get rid of them. Especially when they are only letting go of that pair and keeping the others.
  4. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

There are no federal licenses needed to breed tortoises.
  5. mporcelhall

mporcelhall New Member

Thanks for the insight