Questions about breeding!

Dylanruenz

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
Hello,

I live in Phoenix, Arizona and I am planning on breeding soon! I have a couple of questions. When my female lays eggs, I will incubate them. However, I was thinking, is it healthy and normal to let the hatchling come up from the ground naturally? Also, I am only able to make a cheap incubator, is this incubator good? - ( http://www.turtlestation.com/diy-homemade-incubator.html )
To continue, When the hatchlings come out of the eggs, how long until the yolk goes away? What happens if the yolk pops?

Thank you very much, I look forward to learning and having healthy tortoises! =)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello
View attachment 138947
It would be nice to know what kind of tort you have . I've had my torts for 15 years and I've never broke a yolk . And my incubator is made out of a wine cooler with a glass front . Cause you will want to look at the eggs development .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Dylan.

Depending upon what type of tortoise you have, that temperature might be too cool. But the design seems pretty good to me.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Usually the female pees to soften the soil so she can dig her best and in doing so the ants come fast to the nest and they will be at the eggs . And when the baby's start coming out of the best ( we in AZ have these black birds with long tails ) and the birds will try to eat anything they Evan try to eat bottle caps . So please give a lot of thought if you want to let the eggs lay maturely in the soil in AZ .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,

I live in Phoenix, Arizona and I am planning on breeding soon! I have a couple of questions. When my female lays eggs, I will incubate them. However, I was thinking, is it healthy and normal to let the hatchling come up from the ground naturally? Also, I am only able to make a cheap incubator, is this incubator good? - ( http://www.turtlestation.com/diy-homemade-incubator.html )
To continue, When the hatchlings come out of the eggs, how long until the yolk goes away? What happens if the yolk pops?

Thank you very much, I look forward to learning and having healthy tortoises! =)

Lets start at the beginning here.

How many tortoises have you got?
What size and sexes are they all?
How long have you had them?
Where and how are they housed?
What do you feed them?

Pics of the tortoises and their enclosures would be great too.

I can give you all the details about incubation and how to start the babies, but it helps me to have background info on the adults too.