question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbridges

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Does anyone know if it is possible to neuter a tortoise?
I have one and would like to get a second one, but do not want
to have babies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I suggest you get the same sex. Any surgery on a tort is trumatic and as a general practice I do not think they neuter.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Over the years I have rescued many sulcatas, a few of whom had prolapsed penises. Some of them were able to be put back in place, but three of them had to have their penis amputated. It cost around $150 per animal. After they recovered from the surgery they didn't know they were any different than from before the surgery. Any time you put an animal under anesthesia you're taking a chance, and that chance is greater with tortoises because of the way they breathe and where their lungs are situated. I've heard many stories of successful surgeries, but the animal died from breathing complications from the anesthesia. So this is something you will have to research and talk to vets well-schooled in tortoise physiology.

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I asked the same question before.. it would be nice to be able to , in order to take aggression away, so it would make housing easier and not just a breeding issue. Many males cant live together in harmony..
So if you want two.. either get females, or just have two seperate enclosures. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.