Question about Mazuri

I have a little baby red foot tortoise, he's maybe 3 1/2" big. I rotate fruits and vegetables every other day and every 10 days he gets animal protein, and 2 to 3 times a week I sprinkle calcium on his fresh food. But Mazuri has been suggested to me on this forum, and I'm not sure whether or not its vital. Mazuri tortoise food says its for dry land herbivores, like sulcatas, which sounds like it wouldn't be good for my baby. Opinions?

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Your baby is a dry land herbivore - as in, out of the water, not an aquatic turtle. Mazuri helps provide fiber and vitamins and minerals not found in all the fresh produce a tortoise may eat. The drier pellets can also help wear down your tortoise's beak so it doesn't get overgrown. :)

-Jen

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually a lot of us use it. Just another source of their hopefully large variety of food. The dry part doesn't really play a part for little ones, as most of us soak it anyway. It wouldn't be a bad thing to add.

Actually a lot of us use it. Just another source of their hopefully large variety of food. The dry part doesn't really play a part for little ones, as most of us soak it anyway. It wouldn't be a bad thing to add.

Oh thanks! good to know! I guess if i soak it in water it won't really help wear down his beak, but I think he's to small to eat the pellets any other way. SO thanks for the tip! I'll order the alb bag soon ^_^

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
I use it sometimes, Not too often or else they won't want anything else. I moisten mine, because my russian has trouble eating the big pellets, but my sulcata swallows them whole!