Question About Cool Pack In Shipping Box

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
I will be shipping a hatching to North Dakota. I checked the forecasted weekly temperature of that City/State and the forecast is 75,82,81,82,81 degrees during the day with nighttime temps of 52,60,60,56,58 degrees. I will be taking the box to Fed-Ex by the airport where they will keep it inside and send it out with the last shipment over to the airport in the evening which is what I had them do the last timeI shipped a hatchling. My question is should I put a cool pack inside the box?. I am afraid with the low temperatures in North Dakota that the hatchling will get too cold. I plan on dropping the box off at around 4:30 to 5:00 p.m. at the Fed-Ex office. Any input will be appreciated.

Carol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have never shipped, but do you know if the tort will be delivered to its new owner by 10:00 a.m. And no later? I would guess that with those night temps and cool pack would not be needed, but a heat pack may be. Hopefully someone that has shipped before will know what to do with this much difference in the day and night temps.

Robyn@TRR

5 Year Member
You won't need a cool pack or a heat pack for that shipment.

At this time of year, and with those temps, using a heat pack (as was mentioned as a possibility) would actually jeopardize the life of the animal.

Tortoises in particular are very hardy, and well suited to shipping, it sounds like you have a good plan and prep for this shipment, but won't need either a heat or cold pack.