Quarantine

j_caouette

I'm going to be getting another cherry head tomorrow to go with my pair right now. I was wondering what is the recommended time for quarantine and what to look for. I would appreciate any other tips!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
3-6 months is what is usually recommended. If it's coming from a reputable breeder, one with a good reputation, you would probably be safe doing the lesser of the two. If you just seen it and bought it, knowing nothing about the breeder, then I would do the 6 months.
Look for anything that's not normal.

j_caouette

3-6 months is what is usually recommended. If it's coming from a reputable breeder, one with a good reputation, you would probably be safe doing the lesser of the two. If you just seen it and bought it, knowing nothing about the breeder, then I would do the 6 months.
Look for anything that's not normal.
I saw s/he in a local reptile store and was about 3inches. I noticed it was paired with a smaller leopard tortoise. When I picked up the cherry to check it out I noticed the head was very very dry, do you think it's sick or lack of humidity and dehydration. I'm nervous that it could die couple days after purchasing.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Being kept with another species will greatly increase the chance of illness. But it doesn't guarantee it.
I do about 5 months.
Since you already know that this guy has not had a great start, maybe pass.
You'll eventually find that when you keep multiple tortoises, you'll need an isolation, hospital pen eventually....for something.

j_caouette

Being kept with another species will greatly increase the chance of illness. But it doesn't guarantee it.
I do about 5 months.
Since you already know that this guy has not had a great start, maybe pass.
You'll eventually find that when you keep multiple tortoises, you'll need an isolation, hospital pen eventually....for something.
Thank you for the tips I really appreciate it!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I saw s/he in a local reptile store and was about 3inches. I noticed it was paired with a smaller leopard tortoise. When I picked up the cherry to check it out I noticed the head was very very dry, do you think it's sick or lack of humidity and dehydration. I'm nervous that it could die couple days after purchasing.
If you do decide to get it, most important is to quarantine and soak right away.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Quarantine should last until you are comfortable.

Initially, you are watching to make sure the new animal settles into your care and that it is generally healthy. The remainder of the quarantine is just watching for any symptoms of illness.

TempestRising

Austin, Texas
Some of us take poop samples to the lab from our existing and new animals during the quarantine period.

@Yvonne G When you say to the lab do you mean a local vet? Is this expensive? How would I go about having samples analyzed? Ill be adding a 3rd RF to my family this weekend and am planning on a 3 to 6 month quarantine. I trust the seller and his care for his Torts is top notch. I found him on the forum here after being referred by another trusted member. We are close enough to eliminate shipping to relieve the stress of relocating. I'm really excited but was wondering about having tests done on all 3 RFs for safety. Thanks for the help

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
How far away from others do you house an animal in quarantine?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have a quarantine enclosure set up in my side yard about 100 feet away from my other animals. Just because new animals I like to keep a eye on .