Pyramiding possible on aquatic turtles?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Is it even possible for aquatic turtles to pyramid? (just a question, my turtles shells are tip top!) Pyramiding happens when they get too dry, correct? So it would be very hard for a turtle pyramid, with the aquaticness and everything... and if they were out of the water long enough to pyramid, they would have shriveled up, right?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
It's not totally the same thing. What looks most like pyramiding in aquatics is associated usually with retained scutes, usually due to low amounts of vitamin E.

That "look" can be due to MBD, like in tortoises, but that is less often the case.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
I've seen some strange growth on red ears. Woodlawn Lake here in San Antonio is a common spot where people release their unwanted turtles, so you see a lot of weird ones scurrying across the roadways in the summer. I always find turtles that appear stunted and deformed, red ears that don't measure over four and a half inches shell length but have adult sized genitalia, huge heads, and deformed, "pyramided" shells. I didn't know what the direct cause of it was (vitamin E deficiency?), but I'd suspect improper diet and husbandry in general are contributing factors. After all, the sort of person who would be so irresponsible as to release a captive red eared slider into the wild was probably not doing such a great job of maintaining it in the first place.

T.G.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, pyramiding on turtles does happen....this is why it is important to understand that hydration is not a cure all to a smooth shell...sun, exercise, diet and rate of growth are all just as important to the total pie....

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:D Wow, I had no idea that could happen! I was just thinking about my turtles, and tortoises (as per usual :p ) and wondered why I had never seen a turtle that had pyramided... concluding that they couldn't because they weren't dry enough :D thanks!!

cosmomimi

This turtle has had these bumps since we got it two years ago. He acts fine eats good and everything.. What could it be they seem to be getting bigger..

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
He may have retained scutes, instead. My midland had a small issue, but I added different pellets to his diet, and he started shedding like CRAZY!
@Anthony P could probably help you :D

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
As Anthony P mentioned, the shedding of scutes and stratified growth of aquatics is a different mechanism than the concentric growth of tortoise shells, so the term 'pyramiding' inasmuch as it is a technical term (i.e. uneven/abnormal keratin layers) and not just descriptive, is not applicable.

Try this or something like it:

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417187437.372289.jpg

cosmomimi

I tried to attach pictures with my first post.. Here he is..

1417193959628.jpg 1417194040839.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
As Anthony P mentioned, the shedding of scutes and stratified growth of aquatics is a different mechanism than the concentric growth of tortoise shells, so the term 'pyramiding' inasmuch as it is a technical term (i.e. uneven/abnormal keratin layers) and not just descriptive, is not applicable.

Try this or something like it:

View attachment 106846
OmegaOne is so great :D

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Ok thank you. He has beenthat way for two years. What causes it
It's an infection. The shell on this turtle actually looks pretty decent. There are entrained scutes, but no outward evidence of metabolic bone disease that can be the cause of deformities.

Those ear abscesses are substantial. The worst double abscess I've seen. Have you gotten the turtle to a vet yet? The area will need to be lanced and drained, and the turtle will need to be put on an antibiotic to avoid further infection.

To think about the severity of that situation, imagine having infected areas on your head that size, for that long. These aren't tumors. This is also an amazing illustration of the ability to survive that chelonians can sometimes display.